Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    To add, it seems everyone wants their feelings or emotions validated or offense is taken. Increasingly, people expect they have the right to never ever be offended, to never be "triggered." Humanity is still shuffling along on their untied shoe laces learning to communicate non face to face on line. It makes for an overemotional temperamental arena of tribalism and identity politics(this is not a political statement).
    I've heard the term "microagressions" adopted in this regard - people get offended by the littlest things that don't go their way or think their way. We used to just call it "thin-skinned" but that offended the weight-challenged among us.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Part of living with social media is realizing that anonymity loosens filters, and it's easy to misread the intent behind many posts. There's a fine line between sarcasm, criticism, and vitriol, and nuances of facial expression are lost on the keyboard. I'm willing to bet that a lot of WBers that seem like buttheads in print are nice people in person. I believe that's the case for me, anyhow! Long winded way of agreeing with Illegitemus non carborundum.
    I absolutely agree that the anonymous nature of much of social media creates many problems -- it's all too easy to hide behind fake names and no legit address provided. And I've always thought how great it would be to require real names and addresses, because I think that then the insults, belittlements, and trolling would drop to almost zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I've heard the term "microagressions" adopted in this regard - people get offended by the littlest things that don't go their way or think their way. We used to just call it "thin-skinned" but that offended the weight-challenged among us.

Micro aggressions are a clash of subjective mercurial feelings based perspectives. If someone feels aggressed they personally, or the group to which they identify, thus themselves, have been assaulted. Many define their identity, hence self worth, by their subjective emotional states and opinions. This leads them to believe they have been assaulted when their opinions and emotions are not confirmed. Now, transgressors must be meant to pay by being silenced, possibly through censorship, or by other means, as a transgressor of someone's feelings...irregardless. Fundamentally, it's a form of intolerance and self deception that's exceptionally dangerous to a society's stability...because it's a social assault on truth and objectivity/equitability. This is the U.S. culture we now live. WB is a microcosm of the larger US culture. It routinely plays out on WB and most of the internet. It regrettably increasingly also plays out face to face.

Observe. Someone will be triggered by this post.

Perhaps, if we were all less concerned about continually having our emotions confirmed WB and U.S. culture would be better?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++