WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    To add, it seems everyone wants their feelings or emotions validated or offense is taken. Increasingly, people expect they have the right to never ever be offended, to never be "triggered." Humanity is still shuffling along on their untied shoe laces learning to communicate non face to face on line. It makes for an overemotional temperamental arena of tribalism and identity politics(this is not a political statement).
    I've heard the term "microagressions" adopted in this regard - people get offended by the littlest things that don't go their way or think their way. We used to just call it "thin-skinned" but that offended the weight-challenged among us.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Part of living with social media is realizing that anonymity loosens filters, and it's easy to misread the intent behind many posts. There's a fine line between sarcasm, criticism, and vitriol, and nuances of facial expression are lost on the keyboard. I'm willing to bet that a lot of WBers that seem like buttheads in print are nice people in person. I believe that's the case for me, anyhow! Long winded way of agreeing with Illegitemus non carborundum.
    I absolutely agree that the anonymous nature of much of social media creates many problems -- it's all too easy to hide behind fake names and no legit address provided. And I've always thought how great it would be to require real names and addresses, because I think that then the insults, belittlements, and trolling would drop to almost zero.

I've heard the term "microagressions" adopted in this regard - people get offended by the littlest things that don't go their way or think their way. We used to just call it "thin-skinned" but that offended the weight-challenged among us.

Micro aggressions are a clash of subjective mercurial feelings based perspectives. If someone feels aggressed they personally, or the group to which they identify, thus themselves, have been assaulted. Many define their identity, hence self worth, by their subjective emotional states and opinions. This leads them to believe they have been assaulted when their opinions and emotions are not confirmed. Now, transgressors must be meant to pay by being silenced, possibly through censorship, or by other means, as a transgressor of someone's feelings...irregardless. Fundamentally, it's a form of intolerance and self deception that's exceptionally dangerous to a society's stability...because it's a social assault on truth and objectivity/equitability. This is the U.S. culture we now live. WB is a microcosm of the larger US culture. It routinely plays out on WB and most of the internet. It regrettably increasingly also plays out face to face.

Observe. Someone will be triggered by this post.

Perhaps, if we were all less concerned about continually having our emotions confirmed WB and U.S. culture would be better?

Journal Entries
    Images

People like to be the center of attention.

Getting offended is one way to put yourself there.

Complaninig about WB because some people are mean or stupid or both, is like complaining about New York because because someone has BO on the subway.

To add, it seems everyone wants their feelings or emotions validated or offense is taken. Increasingly, people expect they have the right to never ever be offended, to never be "triggered." Humanity is still shuffling along on their untied shoe laces learning to communicate non face to face on line. It makes for an overemotional temperamental arena of tribalism and identity politics(this is not a political statement).
    I think a lot of times it is not from a want to feel validated...or any such belief of any rights.... but a want to share an idea or a different perspective...sometimes to be helpful.... or sometimes even just to enjoy a discussion or learn from debate around this "virtual campfire"....but then another person offends or insults merely by discounting or in thinking that their own opinion is somehow worth more.....even when it may in fact may not be....and in doing so offend.... Humans have a need for purpose and also I think a need to value themselves, so maybe it's natural for a person to value themselves more than another...to think they are smarter (or funnier, or whatever) than the other person
    I do agree though in the idea that it is very easy to misread or misunderstand in these types of settings. Sometimes it is very hard to translate thoughts into written word...especially when you through into the mix all of the different paradigms we bring to the discussion.... the different cultures, different conversational styles, different dialects, etc....

If we all felt the same about things, it'd be a boring world IMO.
    Not a bad idea to see both sides of every story.
    You can learn more that way.
    IMO
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I absolutely agree that the anonymous nature of much of social media creates many problems -- it's all too easy to hide behind fake names and no legit address provided. And I've always thought how great it would be to require real names and addresses, because I think that then the insults, belittlements, and trolling would drop to almost zero.
    On the flip side, most people would probably not participate at all if real names and addresses had to be given. Anonymity frees people who wouldn't otherwise reveal their thoughts or participate. It has its plus side as well as its negative side. The vast majority of users still adhere to accepted behavioral norms. And without anonymity, there are personal security issues that come into play when peoples ID and physical locations are revealed.

Micro aggressions are a clash of subjective mercurial feelings based perspectives. If someone feels aggressed they personally, or the group to which they identify, thus themselves, have been assaulted. Many define their identity, hence self worth, by their subjective emotional states and opinions. This leads them to believe they have been assaulted when their opinions and emotions are not confirmed. Now, transgressors must be meant to pay by being silenced, possibly through censorship, or by other means, as a transgressor of someone's feelings...irregardless. Fundamentally, it's a form of intolerance and self deception that's exceptionally dangerous to a society's stability...because it's a social assault on truth and objectivity/equitability. This is the U.S. culture we now live. WB is a microcosm of the larger US culture. It routinely plays out on WB and most of the internet. It regrettably increasingly also plays out face to face.

Observe. Someone will be triggered by this post.

Perhaps, if we were all less concerned about continually having our emotions confirmed WB and U.S. culture would be better?
    Whoa! Stay in your lane bro.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Whoa! Stay in your lane bro.
    There are no solid lines on Dogwood's highway of life.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    On the flip side, most people would probably not participate at all if real names and addresses had to be given. Anonymity frees people who wouldn't otherwise reveal their thoughts or participate.
    That all sounds logical, but you are actually wrong believe it or not! I saw this first hand on Facebook through the years where people under their full name and picture, seemingly have zero filter or regard for decorum. This was very prevalent during the last Presidential election, which actually led me to close my FB account. I believe if a person is a jerk, they will act like a jerk if you give them a platform, anonymously or not.
    It is what it is.

I read once that getting a punch in the nose helps keep stupid ideas inside one’s head. The problem is that the internet removes this mechanism of instant feedback.

I’ll add that I don’t advocate violence as a response to words.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    That all sounds logical, but you are actually wrong believe it or not! I saw this first hand on Facebook through the years where people under their full name and picture, seemingly have zero filter or regard for decorum. This was very prevalent during the last Presidential election, which actually led me to close my FB account. I believe if a person is a jerk, they will act like a jerk if you give them a platform, anonymously or not.
    A valid point. And my only comment would be that politics seems to bring out the worst in people. Especially in this era.

There are no solid lines on Dogwood's highway of life.
    My impression is Dogwood is more interested in traveling the scenic byways of life than the highways. Not a bad thing.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

I can't believe this thread is still even open

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I think a lot of times it is not from a want to feel validated...or any such belief of any rights.... but a want to share an idea or a different perspective...sometimes to be helpful.... or sometimes even just to enjoy a discussion or learn from debate around this "virtual campfire"....but then another person offends or insults merely by discounting or in thinking that their own opinion is somehow worth more.....even when it may in fact may not be....and in doing so offend.... Humans have a need for purpose and also I think a need to value themselves, so maybe it's natural for a person to value themselves more than another...to think they are smarter (or funnier, or whatever) than the other person
    I do agree though in the idea that it is very easy to misread or misunderstand in these types of settings. Sometimes it is very hard to translate thoughts into written word...especially when you through into the mix all of the different paradigms we bring to the discussion.... the different cultures, different conversational styles, different dialects, etc....
    The motivation is still rooted in wanting to be perceived - to feel - being helpful, to feel joy, to learn, often because understanding is equated with feelings of well being. The desire to learn and share and appreciate and laugh is born out of our feelings. To be offended, to be insulted, fundamentally means emotions(feelings) are involved. Alternatively, being offended is also stated as having "one's feeling hurt." We're humans and no matter how rational we may assume ourselves we're also emotional beings.

Feelings aren't necessarily bad or wrong. But when the desire to routinely prioritize our feelings over truth and objectivity/equitability becomes the habitual modus operandi it leads to a society where we currently reside. It leads to the expense of denying greater "truths" to kowtow to each other's personal and collective feelings...sure to increase conflict. IMHO, a society or societal decisions based on prioritizing feelings or emotions over greater knowledge, wisdom, and truth is a society prone to greater chaos. Examples of this are common and have been behind some of history's greatest atrocities.

A "saint" can act as a jerk. A jerk can have moments of saint like behavior.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I can't believe this thread is still even open
    I am guessing that there is a whole lot of omphalokepsis going on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I am guessing that there is a whole lot of omphalokepsis going on.
    Thanks. Now I'm thinking about lint...

Just from this thread alone, I've had to Google the meanings of words more than any other thread on WB.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Keep political posts off the forum folks.

Thanks!
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++