Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-29-2016
    Location
    Bradley, Maine
    Age
    60
    Posts
    32
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default "When You Find My Body"-- Gerry "Inchworm" Largay Book

    Hi All,

    Here is a recent radio show discussing the new book about Gerry Largay's ordeal, and the lesson's within.

    http://www.downtownwithrichkimball.c...hinee-5-23-19/

    Peace,
    Dee

  2. #2

  3. #3

    Default

    The book was released today. It gives a straightforward account of the whole tragedy without being sensational.

    If you want to get it, here's the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/When-You-Find...s%2C143&sr=1-1

  4. #4
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    6,876
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ElephantEater View Post
    The book was released today. It gives a straightforward account of the whole tragedy without being sensational.

    If you want to get it, here's the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/When-You-Find...s%2C143&sr=1-1
    What did the book have to say about WhiteBlaze?

  5. #5
    John B's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-04-2005
    Location
    .......................
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    What did the book have to say about WhiteBlaze?
    You're gonna hafta pay $17 to find out.

  6. #6
    Rain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Age
    68
    Posts
    6,113
    Images
    620

    Default

    Ordered it.
    ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit..... Numbers 35

    www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

    .

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-05-2006
    Location
    Northeastern PA
    Age
    59
    Posts
    401
    Images
    8

    Default

    I finished the book 2 days after receiving it and found I was frustrated many times. I mean no disrespect to ANYONE and certainly I support anyone who wants to hike the AT whichever they plan it for their own personal fulfillment but can't help but feel Inchworm was psychologically ready for this hike and its challenges but not in the survival skills area. I won't say anymore but I'm glad for the book and thank her family for allowing us to know more about this beautiful woman who I wish I could have met. Her positive spirit, how she was loved and impressed by everyone she came in contact with, is truly inspirational.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-01-2014
    Location
    bronx
    Age
    56
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    What did the book have to say about WhiteBlaze?
    It is mentioned a few times as "on-line hikers forum", otherwise not much.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-01-2014
    Location
    bronx
    Age
    56
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
    I finished the book 2 days after receiving it and found I was frustrated many times. I mean no disrespect to ANYONE and certainly I support anyone who wants to hike the AT whichever they plan it for their own personal fulfillment but can't help but feel Inchworm was psychologically ready for this hike and its challenges but not in the survival skills area. I won't say anymore but I'm glad for the book and thank her family for allowing us to know more about this beautiful woman who I wish I could have met. Her positive spirit, how she was loved and impressed by everyone she came in contact with, is truly inspirational.
    I share your frustration. It is mind-boggling how is it possible in 2013 that a person steps off the trail for such a routine chore as to relieve themselves and not to be found for the next two years. Especially when you learn that she was all this time less than a mile from the trail and that some of the Search and Rescue teams, including a k-9 team, were a few hundred yards from her location. No, she was not, as you say, ready in the survival skills area, but how many of us are?

  10. #10
    Rain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Age
    68
    Posts
    6,113
    Images
    620

    Default

    I finished "When You Find my Body" a couple of days ago. I give it 5 stars or 10 rotten tomatoes or whatever the measuring rod is.

    It is very well researched. It is very well analyzed. It is very well written. It has grace. It is an elucidating view of the circumstances and characters neither unduly critical nor all "rose-colored glasses." Congrats to D. Dauphinee.

    The suggestion/discussion near the end in favor of "self-rescue training" gave me something to reflect on.

    Good job Mr. Dauphinee!
    ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit..... Numbers 35

    www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

    .

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-01-2014
    Location
    bronx
    Age
    56
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I finished "When You Find my Body" a couple of days ago. I give it 5 stars or 10 rotten tomatoes or whatever the measuring rod is.

    It is very well researched. It is very well analyzed. It is very well written. It has grace. It is an elucidating view of the circumstances and characters neither unduly critical nor all "rose-colored glasses." Congrats to D. Dauphinee.

    The suggestion/discussion near the end in favor of "self-rescue training" gave me something to reflect on.

    Good job Mr. Dauphinee!
    Two thumbs up. I just finished the book, and I couldn't say it better. It is in the tradition of other great non-fiction novels as Capote's 'In Cold Blood'. A very well written, well researched book. And he's treating its subject with great respect.

  12. #12
    AT 2012
    Join Date
    09-11-2006
    Location
    Wallingford, CT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,727

    Default

    ok, so the positive "WB" reviews got me to buy it as well! thanks, crack review team.
    Lazarus

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-18-2016
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    ok, so the positive "WB" reviews got me to buy it as well! thanks, crack review team.
    Ditto...just ordered my copy, and hope more reviews are coming

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-29-2016
    Location
    Bradley, Maine
    Age
    60
    Posts
    32
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Thank you, brother. (You look like and write like my older brother Raymond-- who we called "Rain Man!")
    --Dee

++ New Posts ++

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •