WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trout Run or Hwy 443 MM 1182?

Looking for safest parking place near MM1182. Within .5 miles are Trout Run trailhead and the Hwy 443/Moonshine Road trailhead lots.
    Anyone have any background on Trout Run as to who it belongs to/watches it? Can section hikers park there for 2 weeks w/o towing/tickets? Or is the Hwy 443 better choice?

There's a large parking lot on the north side of 443, which is the start of Moonshine Road. Lots of cars there when I went by there about a month ago on a Saturday morning. It seems to be a popular parking lot for the Rausch gap area. No one will question the car being there until it looks seriously abandoned. That would take a couple of months, so 2 weeks should be fine. Take the usual precautions to keep the car safe.

I don't see anyplace called Trout Run on Guthook, so it's likely a gravel road and take your chances. If it's within 1/2 mile of MM1182, it's probably on state game lands and might be gated. You'd have to check the rules about parking on state game lands.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

See if you can find a phone number for Swatara State Park and give them a call. I may be trail running up there this weekend and can check the board and see if there is any mention of overnight parking.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Where route 72 changes to 443 there is a parking lot which is on the trail and is safe. Trout run parking area is not on A.T. but close by. Parking area there is not gated.

++ New Posts ++