WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy. $6 for PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Xero Shoes Z Trail

Putting this here, rather than in a thread about camp shoes.

FYI:
    Xero Shoes Umata Z-Trail size 10
    My feet are 9.5EEE:
    20190529_031255.jpg

317g/11.18oz for the pair:
    20190529_032720.jpg
    Half an ounce more than what I've been using, but will make a much better camp shoe. Either is a luxury item, but a little girl could haul my current pack weights, so whatever.

First impressions:
    Comfortable with or without socks, and pack flat. I can see why some reviewers complained about them being a bit cumbersome to adjust, but it's pretty simple. Set it and forget it for me, since my use won't be as demanding as someone using them for running.

Bit cheesy for a $80 sandal, though. They're what I wanted in terms of features, and I like them, but also think they're overpriced, even at the $66 I paid with a discount from REI.
    Made in China. Stitching and details are acceptable, but mediocre. There are some small inconsistencies where the molded rubber layers are joined, little spots of whatever adhesive was used to bond them showing in a few places, things like that. Nothing that should affect them in practical use, just nitpicky stuff I'd prefer not to see with that price tag.
    Only "real" dislike/concern is the strap going through flexible rubber that's an extension of the sole material and doesn't have clean edges.
    20190529_032520.jpg
    They do have a 6 month manufacturer guarantee in addition to a 5000 mile wear warranty.

I have a pair that I use for camp shoes, as well as for the showers and locker room at the gym. I like that they pack flat, and don't have a thong between my toes...I hate having something between my toes. I think Xero does offer a similar sandal with a between-toe strap. I agree, a bit overpriced tho.

About 6 weeks ago, I had to do a shallow river crossing in AL's Sipsey Wilderness. Though temps were in the 30s, the trails there are much gentler than my usual haunts on the Cumberland Plateau, so I took the opportunity to leave the sandals on, and try actually hiking in them.

Always wondered what hiking in 0 drop footwear was like, and got in about 3 miles total with them. I've also always wondered how people hike in shorts in cool weather, so left my pants legs rolled up.
    Was laughing about there being ice around some of the waterfalls, and on the root next to me when I sat down to don the sandals, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd expected once I got out of the water.

20210113_180844.jpg

The Z Trails had good grip on rock and downed trees. The zero drop/barefoot fit felt really good to me, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed hiking in them. Now I'd like to try some lower, or 0, drop shoes.

I just came back from doing some hiking in Utah, plus a dash up to Fruita, CO to see the Rattlesnake Arches. My toes were not happy after a few days of doing lots of off camber hiking and steep descents in Canyonlands. Less than halfway into the quickie overnighter in CO, I had to cut open, and take a chunk off, the end of a pinky toe. Along with the one on my other foot, it had previously developed a blister, and they'd both been drained and taped after having a ridge of callous cut off(Canyonlands and my "normal" hiking callouses did not get along very well, apparently).
    After a quick jaunt into Arches at sunset, then some short dayhikes while checking out Canyonlands' Island in the Sky district for the first time, that toe was just done.
    I wasn't though, as I had a day left before flying home, and wanted to use that day go back to Capitol Reef NP.
    A 2 mile roundtrip hike proved to be torture, and I decided to try the Z Trails on a second hike that totaled ~9 miles.
    Nothing. No pain in my toe, no discomfort at all in my feet. From the sandals, anyway. Turns out lightweight merino socks won't protect you from a cactus spine(who knew?!?).
    My lower legs felt like they were pumped full of blood for a little while, but that went away after less than an hour. I've read, in practically every barefoot shoe/sandal review, that you need to work your way into hiking with that kind of footwear, but didn't have any other issues with it.
    I've actually hated wearing regular shoes in the 3 days since, and was out shopping for 0 drop, minimal ones, yesterday.
    Unfortunately, there's not much(zero!) selection nearby.
    Xero is low on stock right now, but I'm going to order their Terraflex shoes when they get them back in, and may go ahead and order the Prio for the gym, as I'm about to start working out again.
    VideoCapture_20210310-112134.jpg

20210314_095122.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    I just came back from doing some hiking in Utah, plus a dash up to Fruita, CO to see the Rattlesnake Arches. My toes were not happy after a few days of doing lots of off camber hiking and steep descents in Canyonlands. Less than halfway into the quickie overnighter in CO, I had to cut open, and take a chunk off, the end of a pinky toe. Along with the one on my other foot, it had previously developed a blister, and they'd both been drained and taped after having a ridge of callous cut off(Canyonlands and my "normal" hiking callouses did not get along very well, apparently).
    After a quick jaunt into Arches at sunset, then some short dayhikes while checking out Canyonlands' Island in the Sky district for the first time, that toe was just done.
    I wasn't though, as I had a day left before flying home, and wanted to use that day go back to Capitol Reef NP.
    A 2 mile roundtrip hike proved to be torture, and I decided to try the Z Trails on a second hike that totaled ~9 miles.
    Nothing. No pain in my toe, no discomfort at all in my feet. From the sandals, anyway. Turns out lightweight merino socks won't protect you from a cactus spine(who knew?!?).
    My lower legs felt like they were pumped full of blood for a little while, but that went away after less than an hour. I've read, in practically every barefoot shoe/sandal review, that you need to work your way into hiking with that kind of footwear, but didn't have any other issues with it.
    I've actually hated wearing regular shoes in the 3 days since, and was out shopping for 0 drop, minimal ones, yesterday.
    Unfortunately, there's not much(zero!) selection nearby.
    Xero is low on stock right now, but I'm going to order their Terraflex shoes when they get them back in, and may go ahead and order the Prio for the gym, as I'm about to start working out again.
    VideoCapture_20210310-112134.jpg

20210314_095122.jpg
    Going from the footwear to zero drop does take time to adjust. I remember when I first went to wearing VFF I could literally feel my calves "stretching" after being in them for a few hours. But this is a more natural foot posture. Modern footwear is actually very harmful biomechanically.

Try the New Balance Minimus (trail runner) for a zero drop every day shoe. That's what I wear on and off trail.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Forgot this, but the Z Trail is now the Z Trail EV, though some sizes of the original are still available on clearance.
    The tread has been updated to a more aggressive pattern, which is a plus, IMO, at least for hiking in them.
    20210318_234932.png

++ New Posts ++