WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SOBO Southern ME section resupply

I'm trying to plan out a section hike from Caratunk to Gorham. And I'm not sure if I should do all three for resupply or two of three (Stratton, Rangeley, Andover).

Andover looks like a PITA to hitch in, but keeps me from carrying 7 days of food. Rangeley has some easy to reach Hostels but cuts a day really short (as does Andover). So stopping at both really puts a squeeze schedule wise.

No issues for Stratton, it's a practically perfect stop mileage and terrain wise & 3rd day out of Caratunk.

Is there a maildrop option I'm missing (I see a $5 non guest maildrop for Hiker Hut)?

No personal experience, but folks seem to be saying nice things about this place near Andover http://humannaturehostel.com/

Not sure if you are looking to stay, but maybe call and see if they will shuttle a maildrop to you for $$$ if that works better.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

That is an exceptionally difficult section of trail, so not carrying a lot of food weight will be a good idea. The hostels in Andover will get you in and out easy enough and your going to want the break. Same with Rangeley. Schedule wise, give yourself plenty of time, your going to need it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

When I did that section, that exact section sobo even, I resupplied in Rangeley. I just did one resupply. My resupply was a box I mailed myself, but there's stuff in town. The folks at the hostel there are super, super nice. I called them from the top of Saddleback Mountain, told them when I expected to be at the bottom / road crossing / parking area, and they met me there and carried me into town, hostel, etc... Dropped myself and another hiker (Hazmat) off there early the following morning.
    That's a beautiful section for sure! Enjoy!!

u.w.

How many MPD did you average? we usually do 15s (VA) but are dialing the planned miles down to 11.3.

Quote Originally Posted by u.w. View Post
    When I did that section, that exact section sobo even, I resupplied in Rangeley. I just did one resupply. My resupply was a box I mailed myself, but there's stuff in town. The folks at the hostel there are super, super nice. I called them from the top of Saddleback Mountain, told them when I expected to be at the bottom / road crossing / parking area, and they met me there and carried me into town, hostel, etc... Dropped myself and another hiker (Hazmat) off there early the following morning.
    That's a beautiful section for sure! Enjoy!!

u.w.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    How many MPD did you average? we usually do 15s (VA) but are dialing the planned miles down to 11.3.
    I would recommend cutting closer to 1/2 than 1/4 (50% instead of 25%). If you can move faster great, but if you overestimate please remember you are in some remote areas and have issues.

As mentioned above like NH, ME is really nice scenery, but it is not easy.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I would recommend cutting closer to 1/2 than 1/4 (50% instead of 25%). If you can move faster great, but if you overestimate please remember you are in some remote areas and have issues.

I agree that your MPH may be cut in half, but it is not just an issue of speed. Duration is also in play. Yes, you will hike slower, but you can make up for some of it by spending more time in motion. Get up and going bright and early, take shorter breaks, and plan to hike longer into the afternoon/early evening.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    I was doing around double-ish of what yall are planning on doing. As others have mentioned - it isn't the easiest part of the trail at all. It's ruggedness is matched, if not outdone, by it's beauty in my opinion. I absolutely loved going thru there.
    Your plan sounds like a good one, and that you do know yourself, which is what is important. Knowing yourself, having a good plan, and what you can do. Your plan is a good one I'd say, and I hope you get good weather for your hike, and have a great time of it.

u.w.

Alright, I went back and checked the mileage for when I did Caratunk to Katahdin and averaged 12 mpd.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post

Correct answer is 66.67%

++ New Posts ++