WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default between Low Gap and Abingdon Gap shelter (TN)

heading north towards Damascus- if I don't want to stop at double spring gap shelter its probably going to be too far to get to Abingdon gap shelter. I see camping at low gap marked on the map. if I get to low gap and want to knock out another mile or two (but again, NOT going to get to Abingdon Gap) are there campsites i'll find a bit past low gap? I know a mile or two doesn't seem like much but as it's setting myself up for a long drive home the next day it kind if is.

low gap has a piped spring next to the concrete picnic table there. you can camp a couple of hundred yards prior to the gap or just go past the gap a 1/4 mile or so and camp

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    low gap has a piped spring next to the concrete picnic table there. you can camp a couple of hundred yards prior to the gap or just go past the gap a 1/4 mile or so and camp
    what about further on? like at double springs gap (which curiously is not the same place as double springs shelter)?

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Double Springs Gap has a small spring from what I remember. The area is rolling ridgeline.

Just south of McQueens Gap is the retired McQueens Gap shelter. Ab Gap Shelter is just north of the McQueens Gap.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

just to answer my own question in case anyone else in the near future might be wondering...

at double springs gap (which again is not the location, oddly enough, of double springs shelter) there are 3 camping spots. at the moment the first and last are posted as having bear problems and official signs advise you not to camp there. the middle one, oddly enough, has no such sign. it is at the top of a small PUD, maybe the bears dont go up there? who knows.

closer to mcqueen's knob there is another spot, it has no signage warning of bears.

the weather was good and the trail was very easy all day so i did in fact end up just going to abingdon gap.

++ New Posts ++