WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Section Advice

Default Section Advice

Hi Everyone,

Again I´ll have 12 days from 1th July, and instead of the AT, will hike CDT. Any section´s suggestion?

If it´s not very far from an airport, easier to start. But if you think it´s worth the travel, no problem.

Thanks again Dogwood and gwschenk for the Shennandoah´s advice. Was outstanding.

I would think sections 1-7 of the Colorado trail, Waterton Canyon to Breckenridge, would be your best bet. The CDT and CT share the same path for a bit along there.

Reason being, you can fly into Denver and get a bus/shuttle to the trail head. Then there is a bus back to Denver from Breckenridge. Makes the connections straight forward and gives you some wiggle room.

Sections 1-7 is about 120 miles Took me about 7 days. You can extend the hike to Leadville and still get a bus back to Denver. Could still be some snow around, but probably not enough to be a problem.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Slo-goén,

Checking 1-7
    - where I can obtain the topo maps
    - is it a good place to observe wildlife?
    - too step?

Maps arriving next week, any particular acclivities?

The “bus” from the Breckinridge area is actually a direct airport shuttle. $55 the last time I checked.
    The bus to-from Leadville runs several times a day. The schedule is online. Cost is minimal.
    Wayne

The bus to Denver actually leaves from Frisco, which is north of Breckenridge. There is a free local bus which goes between the two towns. However, you can also connect to Frisco from the CT via a side trail. I opted to hike to Frisco, then spent the night at a motel to clean up before heading home.

I didn't see any wildlife, except for one squirrel and one moose. Plus many mountain bikers, but not sure those count The moose was on the side trail on the way to Frisco, so glad I went that way.

If the CT was at AT elevations, it would be exceptionally easy. It can take miles to climb 1000 feet. Climbs are switch backed and much of the trail is level. But at 10 to 12,000 feet the thin air makes it a little taxing. At least it did for me, YMMV.

Get the CT data book from the Colorado Trail Foundation to carry with you. The guide book has a lot of useful information but it a little too big and heavy to want to carry. Also check out their Facebook group for current information. Currently they are reporting snow pack levels and which sections are passable.
    Oh, there is also a Guthook app for the CT which would be worth downloading.
    You may also want to look into the Collegiate loop which puts you into more impressive mountains.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 06-02-2019 at 10:30.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

“Breckinridge Area” = Summit County. If you are flying home from Denver International Airport, there are several shuttle services that provide direct service from several locations in Summit County to the airport.
    This company lists multiple locations for pickup:
    https://www.summitexpress.com/
    Wayne
    Last edited by Venchka; 06-02-2019 at 21:51.

Journal Entries

While you can use airport private transfers ( Peak 1 Express is great,and can be $35 online) and they are reasonable, the bustang bus system is run by CDOT , usurping several old private bus routes, and is cheap. If schedule fits. Getting around cheap is usually kind of slow.....
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-03-2019 at 04:51.

Agree, the CT foundation book is a must, but not in a good size. I will print the section pages and take them. Again is a good section choice, some convenient transportation options.

Weather forecasts and CT Association reporting packs of snow, also deep in segments 6, 7,8,9, 12,13,15,16.

Any lower altitudes, better alternatives from Denver?

++ New Posts ++