WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 100 Mile Wilderness

What are the mile markers for the top and bottom of the HMW?
    What are the names of the closest shelters near the bottom and the top?

If one was to drive to Maine, where could they leave a car for four nights while they do the HMW?

Thanks

Journal Entries

Park in Monson, have Shaws shuttle you to abol bridge

Park where they suggest.

Everything else in guidebook

You are going to be trail running if you plan to do it in 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Park in Monson, have Shaws shuttle you to abol bridge

Park where they suggest.

Everything else in guidebook
    25 years of adventure racing experience prepares one well to go for long stretches moving faster than normal in the woods

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    25 years of adventure racing experience prepares one well to go for long stretches moving faster than normal in the woods
    Ditto on park at Shaws. Going SOBO has the advantage of getting back to the car on your terms.

There's a shelter with in a few miles of either end. Leeman Brook at 3 miles north of Monson and Hurd Brook, 3.5 miles south of Abol Bridge.

Sounds like your going unsupported. Little hard to run with a full pack, but you only need to do about 20 miles a day, which is basically every other shelter.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If you're doing it in 5 days you'll be skipping the first and last shelters.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    If you're doing it in 5 days you'll be skipping the first and last shelters.
    I figure he'd want to go to the first shelter in on day 0, the day he arrives from where ever, which would be in the afternoon.

I'm guessing he wants to fit this into a week. 2 days of travel and 5 days of hiking. So, getting 3 miles in first thing allows him to start off bright and early on day 1.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Ditto on park at Shaws. Going SOBO has the advantage of getting back to the car on your terms.

There's a shelter with in a few miles of either end. Leeman Brook at 3 miles north of Monson and Hurd Brook, 3.5 miles south of Abol Bridge.

Sounds like your going unsupported. Little hard to run with a full pack, but you only need to do about 20 miles a day, which is basically every other shelter.
    No running for me during this outing.

The north end is at SOBO mile 15.4, NOBO mile 2176.6. (where the trail intersects with the Golden Road)
    The south end is at SOBO mile 114.5, NOBO mile 2077.5. (where the trail intersects with ME 15)
    Leeman Brook Lean-to is 3.0 miles from the south end.
    Hurd Brook Lean-to is 3.2 miles from the north end.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    You are going to be trail running if you plan to do it in 5 days.
    the OP doesnt say when this will take place, but lets assume july 1st.

in millinocket on july 1st the sun rises at 4:49am and sets at 8:28pm.

lets assume not awakening before dawn and wanting to set up camp before dark.

so lets say workable daylight is 5:30am until 7:30pm.

thats 14 hours.

20 miles in 14 hours comes to 1.42 MPH. running???? i suppose if you spend half of those 14 hours taking breaks. maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    the OP doesnt say when this will take place, but lets assume july 1st.

in millinocket on july 1st the sun rises at 4:49am and sets at 8:28pm.

lets assume not awakening before dawn and wanting to set up camp before dark.

so lets say workable daylight is 5:30am until 7:30pm.

thats 14 hours.

20 miles in 14 hours comes to 1.42 MPH. running???? i suppose if you spend half of those 14 hours taking breaks. maybe.
    I generally hike at 2.7mph (in Northern NJ, Southern NY, Northern CT, Southern MA) so I'll need 37 hours to get 100 miles. Shouldn't be a problem with five days scheduled.

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    I generally hike at 2.7mph (in Northern NJ, Southern NY, Northern CT, Southern MA) so I'll need 37 hours to get 100 miles. Shouldn't be a problem with five days scheduled.
    I looked at my stops last year through the 100mw. I did it in six days. That was with two part days (waiting for food drop at Jo Mary and a nero to slow down to make my reservation at KSC) and some additional swimming stops. A physical specimen I am not. I did have superb weather.

I can't imagine five days isn't more than enough with your experience. There will have to be some longer and shorter hiking days so you can hit camping areas at the end of the day.

++ New Posts ++