WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Week on the long trail

Leaving May 11th(my birthday) for a week on the trail. Looking for anyone out there.

I'm starting a thru in the first week of May, and I know of a few others who are also going to be out then (on thrus). Even if you don't find a partner at least on the weekends you'll run into a ton of dayhikers, especially at lower elevations where there (should) be less mud.
    The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there.

http://www.trailjournals.com/SideWedge/

Images

Not to discourage you guys, but you're not going to find much in the way of company in early may on the LT. I started June 2nd a couple yrs ago and barely saw a sole. Also, there may still be considerable snow at higher peaks and lots of nasty slush/mud in many places. Bugs probably won't be bad yet, though it's possible. THey sucked in early june. Just something to keep in mind
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Where are you starting from? Where are you going to?(I won't be out there, just curious)

Another reason why it may be quiet out there in May is that the trail maintainers request that people avoid hiking in the higher elevations during mud season, which doesn’t end until Memorial Day. Trails through the Camel’s Hump and Mansfield areas (state property) are actually closed from April 15 to Memorial Day weekend.
    There’s info on mud season on the GMC website (http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=60).

I plan on starting at the Ma/VT border NOBO. I am a member of the Green Mnt club and also emailed them about mud season.They will update me on conditions. Might only be going to Mancherster Cnt. See how much time I have. My backup plan is starting at Salisbury, Ct NOBO. But the caretaker from the AMC branch warned me about lots of bugs(blackflies) in May.

++ New Posts ++