WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I use oral replacement salts. WHO has a standard formulation and various companies make it. I buy mine on Amazon..

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa043901 describes how short term electrolyte imbalances happen to marathon runners.
    so I looked at the article and that is actually about hyponatremia and doesn't discuss electrolyte replacement for multiday/week events. but good article

As for ORS, do you use them daily or weekly or "as needed?"
    Also, ORS are basically SODIUM, which most everyone (I'm guessing 90%) get more than enough in their eating (those who eat prepackaged foods or simply add it to food). But they leave out the other important electrolytes like potassium, magnesium, calcium, choride, bicarbonate, and phosphate. So what do you do for those?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

After a bout with hypernatremia 15 years ago, i began packing Gatorade powder along with more salted peanuts and banana chips. A few year later, I used this electrolyte powder which comes in packets, each of which mixes with a liter of water. Worked well including my Colorado Trail thruhike where the sun and dryness combined with long steep ascents brought about the need for good hydration.

https://www.emergenc.com/products/hy...n/electro-mix/

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    so I looked at the article and that is actually about hyponatremia and doesn't discuss electrolyte replacement for multiday/week events. but good article

As for ORS, do you use them daily or weekly or "as needed?"
    Also, ORS are basically SODIUM, which most everyone (I'm guessing 90%) get more than enough in their eating (those who eat prepackaged foods or simply add it to food). But they leave out the other important electrolytes like potassium, magnesium, calcium, choride, bicarbonate, and phosphate. So what do you do for those?
    I only use them during and post hike. The current WHO mix is sodium, potassium, citrate and some glucose to increase the absorption. I used to use NUUN. I not worried about day to day. I like a lot of others tend to sweat them out on a long hike and drink a lot water during the hike. I am primarily a day hiker these days and its makes a big difference.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++