WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Not so. There are a lot of deaths per year due to supplement use. They may help, or do nothing, but they can also hurt or kill.

Before going on supplements, it makes sense to get your electrolytes measured in the appropriate blood panel. However, supplementing one without the other may lead to drastic shortages, because the compounds work together in ways that are poorly understood.

You don't need supplements if you eat nutritionally dense food. Sorry, that's not Little Debbies, pop tarts, and Top Ramen. Rather than eating that garbage and adding supplements, a rational approach would be to rework the diet. It's not a mystery.
    Glad to see this side of the issue being promoted (you and others). I've always felt the best way to get the nutrition we need is to eat the right foods. It just makes sense to me.

However, I've been following the discussion because I have concern that I need to do something different on trail. My hiking is typically just a weekend or a week, so it's not like I'm worried about a months-long nutritional deficit. The concern is that I sweat a lot, more than my husband it seems. It's not uncommon that I'll have salt crusted on my face at the end of the day. And with that I find that I feel vaguely nauseated and low on energy and with little appetite. Eating potato chips hasn't solved the problem. I'm about ready to try some Nuun or Pedialyte.

I use some really nasty tasting electrolytes purchased off Amazon.Not really pleasant going down but I really miss it if I forget.Makes a big difference and really helps stave off the fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Not so. There are a lot of deaths per year due to supplement use. They may help, or do nothing, but they can also hurt or kill.

Before going on supplements, it makes sense to get your electrolytes measured in the appropriate blood panel. However, supplementing one without the other may lead to drastic shortages, because the compounds work together in ways that are poorly understood.

You don't need supplements if you eat nutritionally dense food. Sorry, that's not Little Debbies, pop tarts, and Top Ramen. Rather than eating that garbage and adding supplements, a rational approach would be to rework the diet. It's not a mystery.
    Good post. Qualitative info.

Diet, something as simple as food, becomes a mystery of confusion though because we assume we need disagreeing nutritional experts and industrial food scientists - scientists - to tell us what to eat that best supports our health.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Good post. Qualitative info.

Diet, something as simple as food, becomes a mystery of confusion though because we assume we need disagreeing nutritional experts and industrial food scientists - scientists - to tell us what to eat that best supports our health.
    as no 50 or 75 year controlled studies have been done over the course of people's lifetimes..... Most of what experts say is conjecture, based on extremely limited data
    Eggs are bad eggs are good margarine is bad margarine is good blah blah blah.

studies are only done because somebody gives money to do them and there's usually an angle that they're trying to support...... This applies to food, drugs, etc. If a researcher refutes that angle, they don't get any more money.. it's a broken flawed system to start with.

1. natural foods are usually pretty good for you.

2. Man-made foods are usually pretty damn bad for

3. All things in moderation
    4. No one is supposed to live forever so quit worrying about it. Quality is more important than quantity often.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-06-2019 at 20:42.

The horses are at the starting gate. And, they're off. I'm a product of many days at Monmouth Park.

I used Nuun tabs but have switched to Mio Sport. Super easy and can go into any size bottle opening. Doesnt make a mess like powders do anf can store in my front chest pocket on Ultimate Direction pack. Should also fit in any hip belt pocket of your pack has those.

I find myself getting much less crampy using vs straight water. But im also a serial sweater...i probably lose 10L a day sweating (hyperbole but its A LOT).

Leonidas

We use Endurance Fuel from Tailwind Nutrition. Has worked for me solo for multiple trips and worked great on the 12 day AT section we just came back from. 100 calories per scoop and has sodium, magnesium and potassium. I usually mix it 1 scoop to 30 oz of water but I do occasionally use more scoops depending on if I am short on calories that day. I averaged 4 scoops a day from Hot Springs to Damascus, 18 mpd average and no cramps.
    YMMV
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

On my thru attempt I carried a plastic container of orange Gatorade and a wide-mouth bottle. I chugged a quart of it every day at lunch. I still ended up with salt on by pack's padding but the extra boost at lunch was a huge help.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    ...I've always felt the best way to get the nutrition we need is to eat the right foods. It just makes sense to me.
    I agree. However, as simple as that sounds browse the extensive number of diet, food, fitness, "health", and cooking books, journals, and magazines next time at Barnes & Noble. Look what happens every time we try to talk about food on WB. Someone gets shouted down. PBS has some "food or other celebrity MD/scientific expert" selling their different food views on every day. Supermarket shelves are confusingly so over bloated with false food advertising and claims it's like attempting to find "food truth" portrayed as a grain of sand on Siesta Key. Medical advice is little better. Do extensive research at a medical library on diet. There is little consensus and countless clamoring voices. The topic of what to eat, what's "right" to eat, - the politics of food - is so confusingly hotly debatable it has become a heated topic like religion, does GOD exist or not, or politics. BIG money in food and food related topics. Clouds things.

As a U.S. citizen I'm not so sure we can get all our nutritional needs from what we commonly label food anymore. Food has been corrupted and coopted.

Journal Entries

I been known to bring gatorade powder
    Primarily to boost calorie intake
    But keeping electrolytes going helps too.

I put it in a flip top water bottle, pour out into water bottles. Just take little silicone thingy out. Lift cap, pour out. Ez. Convenient. No mess at all.

IMG_20190609_184920341.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-09-2019 at 19:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I have used the Propel powder to add to my water. Will need to check Nuun out.
    Well I tried it, and far too chalky for me. Will stick with Propel.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

I'm not a "supplement" taking person normally but have been recently (the last few years or so). I am very careful what I put in my body. I even make my own freeze dried meals to be able to have the best nutrition I can have. I have a hard time with supplements as I dislike taking a bunch of stuff. So I frequently spend long periods of time NOT taking them.

I have dealt with muscle spasm issues for many years now - weather sweating a lot or not. My normal "state" is that most of my muscles are in some level of spasm. I don't even notice until one spot or another goes into a more severe spasm. I drink a lot of water. It recently dawned on me that my electrolytes are likely VERY out of balance and have been for years. So I found an electrolyte to add to my water. This may sound crazy but I thought I could pretty much "instantly" feel the difference. I have only been using it for a few days. The one I bought was expensive and I am out of it. Asked my chiropractor for a recommendation and ordered it today. It will be here tomorrow. She suggested I add lemon to the water and electrolyte as the citric acid will help absorb(?utilize) the electrolytes. I will let y'all know how I am doing in about a week or so.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Sport salts tablets from health store.

So whats good to replenish your energy and muscles after a long day hiking ?

This is an older thread and I have weighed in in the past but in 2019 I switched to Oral Rehydration Salts (ORS) designed to WHO specs. Its designed for the optimum absorption into the gut. There is no flavoring added. I add it to my water before hiking and if its long hard hike I usually have one post hike. If I do not use it after a hike its almost a guarantee I will have leg cramps several hours after a hike. One side effect is I also drink less water overall. ORS can be bought on Amazon, it usually comes in standard disposable pouches good for one liter of water. Nuun still works but its about double the price.

Registered User Nolan "Guido" Jordan's Avatar

The main sources of electrolytes are sodium, magnesium, and potassium. If you can get those in your diet, I think anyone will do great.
    Last edited by Nolan "Guido" Jordan; 03-22-2020 at 15:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan "Guido" Jordan View Post
    The main sources of electrolytes are sodium, magnesium, and potassium. If you can get those in your diet, anyone will do great.
    most people won't have a hard time getting enough sodium as they are eating a lot of premade foods. But magnesium and potassium are harder to get. 14 bananas a day to get all your potassium or 7-10 cups of leafy greens (to name a few). Avocados have more potassium but you still would need a couple (or more per day). I think canned sardines and nuts have lots of magnesium and I think dark chocolate does as well (not that milk chocolate). But even at home I supplement electrolytes and I have a very healthy diet (meat, fish, veg, berries, nuts, no processed foods).

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Registered User Nolan "Guido" Jordan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    most people won't have a hard time getting enough sodium as they are eating a lot of premade foods. But magnesium and potassium are harder to get. 14 bananas a day to get all your potassium or 7-10 cups of leafy greens (to name a few). Avocados have more potassium but you still would need a couple (or more per day). I think canned sardines and nuts have lots of magnesium and I think dark chocolate does as well (not that milk chocolate). But even at home I supplement electrolytes and I have a very healthy diet (meat, fish, veg, berries, nuts, no processed foods).
    I agree. An avocado actually has twice as much potassium as a banana does.

revisiting this thread.
    The initial electrolyte I started using was TB12 - very expensive. Switched to ConCentrace Trace Minerals with a little lemon juice added per dr. advice to help with absorption. This one helped quite a bit but it's very heavy in magnesium. Take too much and you better stay very near a bathroom. But it really helped get my muscles to start relaxing. Also, it's very low in potassium which is also "hard" to get in your diet. After reading through this whole thread again I was only "impressed" with the amount of potassium in dried bananas. It would take 2-3 cups per day of this to get all your potassium this way. All the other supplements had minimal potassium and magnesium in them. Some even had negligible amounts of sodium in it! What in the world are y'all paying for?! LOL. I won't eat dried bananas as they are very high in sugars and are going to REALLY spike your blood glucose and thus cause huge insulin dumps. Also, bananas can be quite constipating. But if you like them, they could be a good part of your potassium supplement.

So the magnesium was adversely effecting me and I still wasn't getting enough potassium. We have switched to Dr Bergs electrolyte powder. He does a lot of videos about keto and healthy "diet" and I like his vids because they are usually between 4-8 minutes in length. His powder provides 30% of potassium per scoop. We usually each have 2 scoops per day. If I am doing a lot of hiking/sweating and not eating a big salad (or other leafy greens) and avocado, I may add a 3rd scoop. The best price I have found is through Amazon. You can get a single one for $33. That seller limits you to 1 per purchase but you can submit multiple purchases. We have prime so no shipping charge.

So then I needed to figure out magnesium. I started using a magnesium spray. For $12 I figured if it didn't work it would be no big deal. But it worked great! I started running this spring for the first time in about 7 years and would use the spray immediately after running. I had NO muscle soreness from restarting this activity!!! I actually don't use it every day but really need to get back to it at least on an occasional basis, perhaps once per week. So a spray may not be a great idea on trail but most on the AT at least will have a town day every 4-5 days and carrying a little spray to use when you get a shower might be worth it. I think we are on track for me to attempt a thru in 2022 and will be having my own support "crew" in my DH and our Skoolie so I should have access to my spray without having to carry it at all.

I hope this helps someone here.

I use oral replacement salts. WHO has a standard formulation and various companies make it. I buy mine on Amazon..

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa043901 describes how short term electrolyte imbalances happen to marathon runners.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++