Images

Default Cell phone service in 100 mile wilderness

The other HMW thread reminded me that I meant to ask the community this question. How is the cell reception in the HMW? I've read varying reports, and most seem to say that you can get service along parts of the AT in the HMW at higher elevations.

So, anyone with actual experience care to provide some details on the service in the HMW? For the record I have Verizon cell service.

Oh yeah, and I'm just looking for info from people who have actually been out there, and where they were able and not able to get service...I don't want to get into a debate on whether cell phones should be in back country and all that junk.
    JMT - 2013

Verizon is the best through all of the AT. From what I remember I had service at all the peaks in the 100 mile and even perfect service at some low elevations like the White House Landing hostel area. It was somewhere between 10-20 miles before Abol Bridge there is no reception. You can actually get service with Verizon in certain parts of Baxter. There is service at the area around the bridge over the waterfall on the way up the Hunt Trail and not far into Baxter from the street I found service on some of the side trails. The spots are few and far between but it is there. It was 4G service at most high elevations in the 100 mile to. There were some days without out it though as a good portion of it is low elevation.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th

I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

I had 2 or 3 bar type service at 3 peaks and somewhere around the antlers camp site.

Journal Entries

Verizon would work at various times each day. Also upon exiting the 100 MW at Abol, when you get to the paved road right before the Abol Bridge store there is a hill on the right with a path to the top, that path is there because one can get cell service on top of that. One can also get service at some places on the way to the Birches in Baxter Park.

++ New Posts ++