WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Conditions in the GSMNP

Heading south for a section in the Smokies soon. Does anyone know the current conditions there (e.g., how are the springs flowing)? Thanks.

We are slated to get over 5" of rain thru Monday. When in the Smokies I always drink a liter at every source and refill/ carry 2 liters. There is a source at every shelter, some better then others and some sources in between but not a whole lot. In hot dry times there is no water from Fontana to Mollies and mollies runs low. Other springs (more on east side of AT in the park) seem to run year round.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

The ridge runners just finished their hitches. Reports from 5/30/2019 had Spence Field flowing at 1.5 liters per minute and Campsite 113 (Birch Springs) at 2 liters per minute. Other springs are reported flowing well.

Like Gambit said lots of rain the next few days.

Late summer could change but so far it is a wet year over all.

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    The ridge runners just finished their hitches. Reports from 5/30/2019 had Spence Field flowing at 1.5 liters per minute and Campsite 113 (Birch Springs) at 2 liters per minute. Other springs are reported flowing well.

Like Gambit said lots of rain the next few days.

Late summer could change but so far it is a wet year over all.
    Where did you get the rr reports?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Check out my youtube channel
    Ramdino Roaming the Trails

Images

Due to personal reasons I had not been able to visit the section that I maintain for several months. I was curious about trail conditions so that I might have a better idea about what tools to carry when I returned. So I asked one of the officers in the Smokey Mountain Hiking Club about reports about conditions an offer was made to add my name to the distribution list of the ridge runner reports.

I don't know for sure but it looks as if the ridge runners report to the ATC then the ATC sends the reports to the hiking club.

Got home last night. Great hike. Water was flowing at every shelter and at many springs and streams along the way. Thanks for your help.

How was the heat, bugs, and humidity?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    How was the heat, bugs, and humidity?
    Don't know about up on the AT, but I was in the lower elevations between Cades Cove and the western boarder this weekend. Temps were great, but there was a cold front that moved through. During the day, the bugs were not too bad, but at camp, they were pretty bad. Humidity was a problem at night... back packs were damp in the morning, even when I placed them under the protection of the rain fly.
    However, I was trying out my new REI Half Dome Plus tent. It seemed to do really great. I'm not totally sure after just one trip, but the 4 chimneys that are on top of the rainfly seemed to do a great job of letting air circulate in the tent.

Shelb--We just missed a large downpour by one day, and walked in the remnants of it on Day 1. Temps were cool--high 60s and low 70s during the day, nice breeze. The first couple of nights were chilly and damp, then they were very comfortable, in the mid-50s. The bugs were an issue only when we took breaks during the day--some small biting flies or gnats made sure we contributed to the local food supply. No bugs at night. Temperatures and humidity were higher at the end of the hike, especially the last day. We stayed in shelters between Clingmans Dome and Hot Springs and were pleasantly surprised at the lack of mice.

++ New Posts ++