WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by iceaxe56 View Post
    In the Trump south you will run into this in other towns.Seems like the rednecks with their rebel flags in the back of their trucks are numerous.Just be careful when your in those towns and back roads.
    Run into what exactly? Also,should Southerners be more apprehensive for their safety the further North they go?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I’m confused, what part are you saying is fake?. He extracted the data for the 13 states the AT passes through, from the table of all states you provided a screenshot of. The site says the data is based on hate crimes reported to the the FBI in 2017.
    No you are not confused. I was.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    No you are not confused. I was.
    Actually, you may be right. There are some serious problems with the data in the link from post #93. There are two tables in the link, total hate crimes reported, and hate crimes per 100,000. I did some spot checking using total hate crimes reported, and population estimates from another link, and get different numbers per 100,000 from that listed in the link. Some are close, and some are way off. One, or both, of the two tables in the link contains errors.

EDIT: The problem is in the first table of the link in post #93. For example, it lists 509 incidents in Georgia, when it should have listed 27 incidents, and 509 participating agencies.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2017/...s/table-12.xls
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 06-13-2019 at 20:15.

Actually, you may be right. There are some serious problems with the data in the link from post #93. There are two tables in the link, total hate crimes reported, and hate crimes per 100,000. I did some spot checking using total hate crimes reported, and population estimates from another link, and get different numbers per 100,000 from that listed in the link. Some are close, and some are way off. One, or both, of the two tables in the link contains errors.
    Go ahead and post both links then GP.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I take umbrage at the first sentence. The U.S. is not a country of hate everywhere! This is victimhood nonsense disparaging this country. And, even if some Whiteblazers disagree with you that doesn't change the fact WB can still be a proud community. WE don't need to sympathize with your viewpoints to be a proud community! If we look for something, we find it even we have to fabricate the narrative to make it true,...even if the facts have to be ignored. That is what seems to be rampant! Hate and malfeasance is NOT everywhere! Instead of seeking victimhood we can equally seek and operate in love, joy, peace, harmony, cooperation, goodness, self control, faith, knowledge, wisdom, and patience. We can equally recognize the great strides we've made as a Nation regarding civil and humanitarian rights!
    That's overall a grandstanding sympathy seeking statement rooted in political motivations begging inclusivity to one's political identity... not to combat hate or violence.
    What raises a second concerning red flag is WB Mods have not censored this obvious left wing politically bias WB taboo thread topic nor obvious following politically slanted posts with nothing even tangentially related to the AT or hiking
    Thanks Dogwood for all your posts on this matter. I couldn't agree with you more, and you said it all much more politely and eloquently than I ever could have! So I will bite my tongue, hard as it may be, and just say "WHAT DOGWOOD SAID!"=====>>>>>
    It is what it is.

Journal Entries

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2017/tables/table-12.xls

Per million people

AL - 3
    AR- 2.5
    CA-28
    GA-3
    LA- 7
    NY-28
    MI-46
    MA-64
    TN-20
    NC-16
    VA-23
    AZ- 39
    D.C.- 278
    TX- 7

MS-2
    MN-27
    WI-8
    DE-30
    CT-31

NJ-55

Whats clear.....the hateful part if country is not rural deep south. By any stretch of your prejudiced imagination.

And Washington DC is so bad it's pretty much unbelievable.

This isn't news to most people... Who live in the south.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-13-2019 at 21:49.

In the Trump south you will run into this in other towns.Seems like the rednecks with their rebel flags in the back of their trucks are numerous.Just be careful when your in those towns and back roads.
    you're FOS kid

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Go ahead and post both links then GP.
    See my edit in post 103.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    A while back (maybe 2-3 years ago) a woman joined WB and posted a thread questioning whether it was safe for a lesbian to hike in the rural South. Annoyed, I briefly considered a sarcastic response about us hillbillies wandering about on the trail looking for sexual deviants to attack...

Instead, I sighed and held my tongue.
    Right on..we may be yokels but that don’t mean we hate everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    For those of you interested in actual per capita statistics for hate crimes by state per 100,000 in population you might want to check this link https://safer-america.com/map-of-rep...-in-the-u-s-a/
    (Per capita infor is listed if you scroll down the page in the link)
    Listing the AT states based on hate crimes per 100,000 here the most dangerous states listed from high to low:

Massachusetts 6.37
    New Jersey 5.50
    Vermont 5.45
    Connecticut 3.09
    New York 2.80
    Maine 2.40
    Virginia 2.28
    Tennessee 2.03
    West Virginia 1.95
    North Carolina 1.62
    New Hampshire 1.00
    Maryland .79
    Pennsylvania .61
    Georgia .30
    Different standards for reporting, I suspect.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Different standards for reporting, I suspect.
    Or the nature of the crimes being recorded.

A summary list like this would fail to distinguish between a hate crime like the 1988 Murder of Rebecca Wright (while some do not think of her’s as an “AT murder” she and her partner first ran into the homophobic killer at the Birch Run Shelters in PA), and an adolescent tagging a wall with racist graffiti.

EDIT: The problem is in the first table of the link in post #93. For example, it lists 509 incidents in Georgia, when it should have listed 27 incidents, and 509 participating agencies.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2017/...s/table-12.xls
    Safer-America.com may have transposed the number of agencies and incidents however if you go to the FBI statistics in the link you posted above you will see the FBI has Georgia down with 27 incidents and a population of 8,948,013.That would be 89.48013 stated in terms of 100,000.

Dividing the number of crimes reported as 27 by 89.48013 we come up with an incidence for Georgia per 100,000 of .3017 which is what is on the list in the original link I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieDust66 View Post
    Top six states are in the north, mmmmmm
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another example of the "Grit Connection", less exposure to this special food that appears to be the common link in keeping people docile may indeed be a root cause. Funding for a study is now an open question....

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Another example of the "Grit Connection", less exposure to this special food that appears to be the common link in keeping people docile may indeed be a root cause. Funding for a study is now an open question....
    Actually,I am rethinking the "grit hypothesis based on the numbers from Pennsylvania.Maybe Philly Cream Cheese could be the contributing factor?

See my edit in post 103.
    Just for kicks,I went to the FBI table listed in your link and manually extracted the data to compare to the original link I posted.There is no difference in the numbers.

So one of two things must account for the discrepancies for the incidence of hate crimes committed in the tolerant Northern States vs the racist/bigoted/backward Southern States.

Either the FBI does not know what they're talking about or the Russians have once again hacked the data.........

Journal Entries
    Images

• Confirmation Bias:

The tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories.

Wth is going on in this thread?

Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Wth is going on in this thread?
    Quick summary:
    Some folks trying to paint the old myth of the "racist" south, while the facts show there is more racism/hate crimes in the north.

Why don't we all just go for a hike and try to enjoy the scenery and company of all those we come in contact with.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

The old 'racist south' is far from a myth, but it's nowhere near what's been insinuated in this thread.

Journal Entries

No idea what is inferred, but the link to ny times below will refresh your memory. I suggest you look at county by county results for a better picture.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/20...ults/president

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++