WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rubyvermonter View Post
    The Southern Poverty Law Center is a well, respected non-profit organization, which strives to protect civil rights of all people.
    only all people who agree with their politics.

Journal Entries

Theres about 40 hate groups functioning in most states, targeting every kind.

If this bothers you, stay home......oops, they are functioning near your home too. Guess your SOL.

Some things will always be present at low levels, and akways have. Incidentally , large influx of new immigrants triggers increase in hate crimes vs all groups.

If you want to report about hate organizations near trail, you dont need to pick a defunct one . Theres plenty valid ones to choose from around. And you dont need to smear a community in process.

I used to live near national hq of KKK. Know how much KKK activity there was in area? Zero. Its NOT a causual relationship. Comunities are embarrassed about these things as well, but its not in their control.

but here's the overriding thing that's a lot of people don't seem to understand...... If you let this crap bother you at all... They win... You lose
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-10-2019 at 13:41.

Journal Entries
    Images

To suggest that antisemitism is endemic to a small far away town — with scant evidence to support that conclusion — is to minimize the reality that it exists far and wide.

I think the OP needs to do some soul searching.

I will pray pray for him if I can find a colander.

Also I have read in the past of police claiming what appear to be a hate crimes as drug deals gone bad. Check this out:

https://jewishjournal-com.cdn.amppro...fred-wright%2F

The Police were disclosing results of two different reports by a Forensics Medical Examiner, an M.D., and a trained forensics pathologist that examined the body after conducting lab analysis. The reports showed cocaine, meth and Xanax found in the deceased and evidence of long term cocaine use.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Here's what I think (like you care)...

1. The OP put together a reasonable post to draw interest towards a sensitive subject, and...
    2. Those inclined to be sensitive about it, were. I think sometimes folks get sensitive to the initiation of opinions on potential oppressive restriction, when they should just let these opinions have some air without such an immediate response - and such a response inevitably makes you look bad, like you're clearly on the side of oppressive behavior, when in fact you're not. (@MW)
    3. SPLC is basically a good organization that has gone astray - hoping the lawsuit and resulting leadership change gets it back on track. Like a lot of "watchdog" organizations, I do think there is a tendency to justify actions and the resulting collateral damage of those actions without proper reflection. Otherwise known as Group Think.
    4. A backpacking forum probably isn't the place for this discussion, but while we're on the subject...
    5. How else are we supposed to be alerted to info that potentially could be very affecting to any one of us?
    6. On the subject of "liberal biases", perhaps its good to remember that as a country, we should be biased towards liberty for all. I find the term "liberal biases" as its typically used to be offensive name-calling. Its used to brand people as some sort of idiot and devalue their opinions. In theory, we should all be liberally biased.
    Well stated.

For years, SPLC has fought to bring down all sorts of militant organizations in the civil courts. White Supremacists/KKK and New Black Panthers, Christian Identity and Nation of Islam, Sovereign Citizens and Neo-Nazis, etc. If an organization preached hate and violence against another group of people, they were generally all over it regardless of race or religion or political affiliation.

In recent years, they have made mistakes - especially in inflating the degree of the "level of hate" in fundraising propaganda, and in branding some people unfairly.

But if you take the body of their work from the 1970's to present, they have brought a lot of evil people and organizations to justice that would otherwise have grown in power and walked without consequence for their actions. Hopefully, with leadership change, they will focus a little more on that core work and a little less on the business and bottom line.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 06-10-2019 at 18:33.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Here's what I think (like you care)...

1. The OP put together a reasonable post to draw interest towards a sensitive subject, and...
    I can see how you might have reached that conclusion if you just took a quick look at the OP’s post.

That said, I would wager you didn’t read any of the links— or if you did, gave them just a quick look.

Not a reasonable post.

OK. I am not here to debate the SCLC. Or to judge the people of Damascus. I am here to describe what has changed for me in the last three years or so.

I never would have hesitated to use a gas-station bathroom before. Now, if I'm in a deep red county, I might skip the local station in favor of the brand-name Interstate truck stop 20 miles away. And if I can't hold it, I won't go in alone. I know I have nothing to fear from 99 percent of the people there. But I have an identifiably Jewish face, and it only takes one.

I never would have thought that my synagogue -- in a deep-blue suburb of blue Chicago -- would be hiring off-duty cops to guard our services. We don't see our neighboring churches doing that.

And I never would have expected to worry about members of Congress, from both parties, using dog whistles against us.

So if some of us are a little too jittery, or not skeptical enough of the SCLC, I hope this gives some reason as to why.

Journal Entries

Well I ran what they said about the oven by my wife, a truly lovely Jewish lady ., and she was saddened that anyone in this 'day and age', would resort to such low levels. What low class piece of crap goes there in an argument? Vile scumbags! Instigator or not, there's better ways to deal with people, merely out of respect to other people of the Jewish faith.Just my opinion .....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    hate is everywhere, but I remember a time when the AT was a community of brotherhood/sisterhood. We looked out for each other. That's why some of us keep coming back.
    There are many incredible people who hike the AT, or lend support. No doubt some live in Damascus. But let's keep this community one we can be proud of.
    I take umbrage at the first sentence. The U.S. is not a country of hate everywhere! This is victimhood nonsense disparaging this country. And, even if some Whiteblazers disagree with you that doesn't change the fact WB can still be a proud community. WE don't need to sympathize with your viewpoints to be a proud community! If we look for something, we find it even if we have to fabricate the narrative to make it true,...even if the facts have to be ignored. That is what seems to be rampant! Hate and malfeasance is NOT everywhere! Instead of seeking victimhood we can equally seek and operate in love, joy, peace, harmony, cooperation, goodness, self control, faith, knowledge, wisdom, and patience. We can equally recognize the great strides we've made as a Nation regarding civil and humanitarian rights!

Dr J, or whoever you are, overall your post is a grandstanding sympathy seeking statement rooted in political motivations begging inclusivity to one's political identity... not to combat hate or violence. It raises a blazing red flag as Dr John has only joined WhiteBlaze on June 2 2019 the same day he started this politically slanted thread that aimed at first to make sweeping demeaning unfounded accusations against the trail town of Damascus VA. And, Dr John ONLY has made comments on politics based on his activity profile. So much for Dr John, whoever this troll is, being part of a backpacking community interested in hiking topics!

Then, Dr John, who leaves the flimsiest of WB User profiles, deceitfully seeks to gain the WB community's allegiances, to sympathizing with SPLC's and his/her identity politics. And, were all off to the races. Has anyone thought about this series of events?

What raises a second concerning red flag is WB Mods have not censored this obvious left wing politically bias WB taboo thread topic nor obvious following politically slanted posts with nothing even tangentially related to the AT or hiking. I sincerely thought signing on to WB generalized political conversations were strictly monitored and, if need, censored. This occurring despite several long term WB posters alerting MODs to delete the thread. Who will get censored is probably myself for stating this!
    Last edited by Dogwood; 06-14-2019 at 00:04.

[QUOTE=Dr. John;2248942]...The legal team at SPLC works for donations, earning a small fraction of what they could make elsewhere. They have the talent to win cases at the decidedly right-wing Supreme Court. Indeed, they make much less than people like Rudy Gulliani, and have considerably more talent.[Quote]

That's an offensive misleading politically biased left wing statement. According to financial statements SPLC now has nearly a $300 million endowment. It has offices in four states with a swank six story office in Montgomery AL. It's founder Morris Dees earned $335,00 in 2015, not a bad chunk of change for being involved in supposedly grass roots not for power and profit civil rights with attorneys working for donations.

SLPC is now a weaponized intolerant political activist group pushing a politically correct left wing agenda riding on the coat tails of past virtuous civil and humanitarian rights wins. Anyone who disagrees with their politics they are quick to label as a hate group including anyone who associates with that group, to shut up alternative viewpoints. This is common intolerant behavior of the left. Contentiousness at it's core, this is identity politics. Their perspective is free speech is quickly labeled hate speech when it doesn't agree with their speech?

SPLC listed on their hate group list non violent Sen Rand Paul and soft spoken Housing Secretary Ben Carson, Ben Carson because he was in favor of marriage between a man and woman. Dr Carson was subsequently labeled an Uncle Tom because he never bought into promoting or perceiving himself along the victim hood narrative instead choosing to pull himself up and those around him through great effort despite less than a stellar initial situation in life. Both were included on the same hate group list as the the sometimes violent and hateful KKK and other terrorist and extremists organizations and individuals It's clear, as TDOCI stated, anyone that doesn't share SPLC's left wing political correctness from their perspective is spewing hate and extremism. HMM, so non violent civil dissent of opinion is now labeled as hate, terrorism, extremism and violence by the SPLC? That is an attempt to quiet anyone of THEIR alternative civil rights when they dissent from SPLC's agenda...a common tactic for the radical left.
    Last edited by Dogwood; 06-14-2019 at 00:14.

Rather than listen to those whose knowledge of SPLC is limited to what is said about them, I would encourage people to go to their website and read for themselves exactly what the goals and methods are of the SPLC.

Read for yourself rather than rely on those who tend to opine and bloviate about anything and everything regardless of what they know or don't know.

https://www.splcenter.org/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Rather than listen to those whose knowledge of SPLC is limited to what is said about them, I would encourage people to go to their website and read for themselves exactly what the goals and methods are of the SPLC.

Read for yourself rather than rely on those who tend to opine and bloviate about anything and everything regardless of what they know or don't know.

https://www.splcenter.org/
    right because someone's own evaluation of themselves is always the best the way to find out about them. no one ever paints themselves u=in an unreasonably, overly positive light. especially on the internet.

If you have to look this hard to find something, it probably doesn’t exist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://natall.com/about/what-we-believe/I

From National Alliance website:

"We believe that our people must be united by the common goal of building a better race. Today, without a common national-racial purpose, we are unable to focus our energies and achieve the great things which otherwise would be within our grasp. But once we are united on the basis of common blood, organized and disciplined within a progressive social order, and inspired by a common set of ideals, there will be no problem which we cannot overcome, no enemy whom we cannot vanquish, and no goal which we cannot attain."

Located:
    National Alliance, Box 172, Laurel Bloomery TN 37680 USA. (online application form coming soon)

Google Maps says it is a 12 minute drive from the Laurel Bloomery post office to the Damascus police station.

Images

https://natall.com/about/what-we-believe/I

From National Alliance website:

"We believe that our people must be united by the common goal of building a better race. Today, without a common national-racial purpose, we are unable to focus our energies and achieve the great things which otherwise would be within our grasp. But once we are united on the basis of common blood, organized and disciplined within a progressive social order, and inspired by a common set of ideals, there will be no problem which we cannot overcome, no enemy whom we cannot vanquish, and no goal which we cannot attain."

Located:
    National Alliance, Box 172, Laurel Bloomery TN 37680 USA. (online application form coming soon)

Google Maps says it is a 12 minute drive from the Laurel Bloomery post office to the Damascus police station.
    so... ever do any hiking, or naah?

I am deep saddened by this. I only joined to warn the hiking community. No doubt there are many great people in Damascus, yet it is difficult to believe no one in town was aware of this. No person or institution is perfect, but you don't throw out the baby with the bath-water. SPLC nailed this one.

Images

I am deep saddened by this. I only joined to warn the hiking community. No doubt there are many great people in Damascus, yet it is difficult to believe no one in town was aware of this. No person or institution is perfect, but you don't throw out the baby with the bath-water. SPLC nailed this one.
    consider us all duly warned. good work.

so... about that hiking... any thoughts on any of that?

I have more miles than I care to admit. I am not in it for bragging rights.

Images

I have more miles than I care to admit. I am not in it for bragging rights.
    so, you really did "join" this board just to warn us all of the menace lurking just outside damascus.

you definitely deserve some sort of a prize.

sorry you're so disappointed and saddened or whatever by the response you received.

And good work SPLC.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++