WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default anti-Semitism in Damascus?

Searching Southern Poverty Law Center's website I noticed a symbol for a Neo-Nazi organization on their hate map near Damascus. Searching further, it seems that the head of the National Alliance lives near Laurel Bloomery, Tennessee, which is about six miles south of Damascus. It therefore seems that the incident involving the owners of Hey Joe's, may reflect a greater local issue. Check out these links:

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/...cking-employee

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h...ional-alliance

Also I have read in the past of police claiming what appear to be a hate crimes as drug deals gone bad. Check this out:

https://jewishjournal-com.cdn.amppro...fred-wright%2F

Yes, antisemitism is a thing in a lot of places, sadly.

Journal Entries

I think if you look at history of jewish people and their treatment for past 2000 yrs

The idea of "anti-semitism" in US today is totally laughable by comparison. Lets just say....never was real popular in europe.. .anywhere..US was only place that welcomed them

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I think if you look at history of jewish people and their treatment for past 2000 yrs

The idea of "anti-semitism" in US today is totally laughable by comparison. Lets just say....never was real popular in europe...US was only place that welcomed them
    Its not funny.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    Searching Southern Poverty Law Center's website I noticed a symbol for a Neo-Nazi organization on their hate map near Damascus. Searching further, it seems that the head of the National Alliance lives near Laurel Bloomery, Tennessee, which is about six miles south of Damascus. It therefore seems that the incident involving the owners of Hey Joe's, may reflect a greater local issue. Check out these links:

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/...cking-employee

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h...ional-alliance

Also I have read in the past of police claiming what appear to be a hate crimes as drug deals gone bad. Check this out:

https://jewishjournal-com.cdn.amppro...fred-wright%2F
    dont know if there is a hate group in damascus or not, but why I **DO** know is this- the SPLC isn't anyone i look to for any sort of reliable information on much of anything.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.0f3e1e4c607c

they may have once been a good organization. maybe. i dont know the history. but if it was thats all long gone.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Its not funny.
    If you want everyone to like you, your never going to be happy. They never will. Doesnt matter who you are, what you are, where you are. If all you do is fret over this.....what a miserable existence you will have.

You will find hate all over, from smallest towns to largest cities, so im not sure what point is. To malign a trail community for a defunct group that was once located nearby?

there's no "hate groups" in Damascus. that incident at Hey Joes was blown way out of proportion

If you want everyone to like you, your never going to be happy. They never will. Doesnt matter who you are, what you are, where you are. If all you do is fret over this.....what a miserable existence you will have.
    You will find hate all over, from smallest towns to largest cities, so im not sure what point is. To malign a trail community for a defunct group that was once located nearby?
    I never maligned a trail community. I “fretted” over your minimization of current anti-semitism and the idea of it being inconsequential and humorous. It is sad to know that this behavior exists and is looked upon so dismissively. On balance however, I am quite happy, thanks for caring.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein

Maybe we should ask Jussie Smollet his opinion on this?
    Tawanna Brawley?
    Maajid Nawaz?
    Gavin McInnes?
    ./~Hi ho, hi ho, it's up the trail I go ./~

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    I never maligned a trail community. I “fretted” over your minimization of current anti-semitism and the idea of it being inconsequential and humorous. It is sad to know that this behavior exists and is looked upon so dismissively. On balance however, I am quite happy, thanks for caring.
    Anti-everything exists.
    And it always will on some low level. And it is a very very low level today.

Its not limited to rural VA, NYC is a biggest offender.
    Nothing new here at all.

What you find sad is just reality of humans. Dont know how to help you with that.

Images

Really? A political opinion piece cited as authority? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    dont know if there is a hate group in damascus or not, but why I **DO** know is this- the SPLC isn't anyone i look to for any sort of reliable information on much of anything.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.0f3e1e4c607c

they may have once been a good organization. maybe. i dont know the history. but if it was thats all long gone.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Really? A political opinion piece cited as authority? LOL
    Many (most!?) times these groups have an agenda
    That agenda, is simply for leadership to make money off a sympathetic group. Tell them what they want to hear, rouse them up, secure donations. Get rich, Repeat when things calm down .

You can think of several quasi-political leaders who have made their career doing this im sure. They pop up out if woodwork when isolated events occur, just to take advantage of free publicity

SPLC is an activist political hate group not to be trusted as a source of objectivity. It seeks to silence other groups that don't share SPLC's liberal biases by labeling those groups as hate groups. This is a politically slanted thread which has little to nothing to do with hiking or Damascus VA.

A couple of months before the incident in Damascus, I met a thru-hiker in his mid-seventies. He was white, from Georgia with an accent so thick one would swear he never stepped out of his hometown. Before he retired, he worked for a legal firm (in Georgia) affiated with SPLC. During the Civil Rights movement of the '60's one of his colleagues at the law firm was assassinated. When he retired he became a Methodist minister. Unfortunately we were headed in opposite directions. I would have loved to spend some time with him. He was certainly one of the best of the best on the Appalachian Trail.

The legal team at SPLC works for donations, earning a small fraction of what they could make elsewhere. They have the talent to win cases at the decidedly right-wing Supreme Court. Indeed, they make much less than people like Rudy Gulliani, and have considerably more talent.

Anyone who has read "A Walk in the Woods" is aware of the hate-crime/murder of two lesbians on the AT. Apparently a few think that thru-hikers should not be made aware of the leader of a hate organization, who has a record of violence, living near the AT.

Yes hate is everywhere, but I remember a time when the AT was a community of brotherhood/sisterhood. We looked out for each other. That's why some of us keep coming back.

There are many incredible people who hike the AT, or lend support. No doubt some live in Damascus. But let's keep this community one we can be proud of.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post

Apparently a few think that thru-hikers should not be made aware of the leader of a hate organization, who has a record of violence, living near the AT.
    I think you failed to read the title, and grasps the link that was attempted to be made , between an reportedly defunct non-operating organization, and the community of Damascus, based on an isolated incident that involved name calling and a shove.

They appear to be headquartered in West Virginia. But by all means, lets join a AT centric site to post inflammatory information. Then we can justify it with hyperbole.

Images

The idea of "anti-semitism" in US today is totally laughable by comparison. Lets just say....never was real popular in europe.. .anywhere..US was only place that welcomed them
    Google "Jews in the Ottoman Empire" They were welcomed there.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

I passed through Damascus on 11/30/17 (five weeks after the incident). A sign north of town on the Creeper Trail was still advertising Hey Joe's. It made me sick to think I had patronized that establishment in the past. I had no desire to spend any time in town, but I needed groceries. As I was leaving Food City, I overheard two older locals discussing the incident. A rather clean-cut man said "he was unfortunate enough to be born a Jew".

The police charged the brothers. Why can't I find out the outcome online? Perhaps you can inform us all.

Muddy Waters, you showed your colors.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++