WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Planning my next section hike...

I'll be heading up in a couple weeks or so, starting where I left off at mile marker 654.4 (2016 awol guide) and heading north for another hundred mile section.
    Planning my stops, using the guide, I see Windrock campsite at 661.9, for a 7.5 mile first day
    Laurel Creek Shelter at 672.6 for a 10.7 mile day two
    Niday Shelter at 685 for a 12.4 mile day three

The next night, I'd like to have done 14 or 15 miles, which would put me right around Dragons Tooth. According to Awols guide, just after Dragons Tooth, starting at Newport Rd, there is no camping allowed except in designated areas - the next of which is WAY long of a hike for day 4 (23.7 is longer than I've ever hiked, don't know if I could do it on day 4, and would feel too rushed to enjoy the 'Tooth) .
    My question to you who are familiar with the area: Is there anywhere to camp around Dragons Tooth?
    Or do I have to do a short (10 mile) day 4?

Thanks for any personal insight you have of the area.

Lost Spectacles Gap, a little less than a mile past Dragon's Tooth and 1.7 miles before Newport Road, looked like a nice place to camp when I hiked through there a year ago -- no water though. You would need to tank up on water before you get there. It would be 15.1 miles from Niday Shelter to Lost Spectacles Gap.
    Last edited by map man; 06-08-2019 at 23:10.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

You really want to end up at Pickle Branch, then go over Dragon tooth to Catawba. There won't be any water between Pickle Branch and Catawba, so that's a consideration. Lost Spectacles Gap is on a very high traffic trail too. Not really a great option.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

On my hike through there 2 years ago I carried water up dragons tooth . I waited until everyone left and right out on the overlook I had just enough room for my tent. Awesome!

You can stay at lost spectacle or you could also stay at 4 pines hostel free of charge. It is at the road north of dragons tooth. Tenting, a ride to gas station/ resupply, some beds inside. Joe is a nice guy but he runs off of donations only so dont expect a lavish experience.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    You can stay at lost spectacle or you could also stay at 4 pines hostel free of charge. It is at the road north of dragons tooth. Tenting, a ride to gas station/ resupply, some beds inside. Joe is a nice guy but he runs off of donations only so dont expect a lavish experience.
    Awesome, thanks. Resupply was my next problem, and the 4th night would be great.

Journal Entries

When we went to Dragon's Tooth, there were a few people who had camped there at the base of the rock. Not sure if that's "allowed" but it was done.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    When we went to Dragon's Tooth, there were a few people who had camped there at the base of the rock. Not sure if that's "allowed" but it was done.
    The official no camping zone starts at Newport Rd and extends north to Lamberts meadow just before Daleville. Basically McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs.

Camping at Dragon tooth might be technically legal, but depending on the chances of T storms, might not be a good idea.

As for a resupply, once you get to VA624 (the afore mentioned Newport Rd), your a short walk from the Catawba Grocery (0.3W, then .1W, but you'll see it once you get to the main road) which will have everything you need, plus can cook you lunch. Although if you plan to go to the Home Place for dinner, don't eat too much at lunch!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++