WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Starchi9ld - I am so glad you responded. I took my babies to the woods and they grew up backpacking and hiking and still do. Now we are looking again for overnight packs for the 5,6,7,8 yr old little people. Small gear has changed so much. There will be 3 adults supporting this plus the doggy. But question to you is what packs etc are out there now for these size little people. Thank you for your answer.

Images

Ted, if you want your children to be interested in backpacking, as you say, I would suggest something shorter than 7=10 days. Do a nice out and back overnighter,or two night jaunt. You could carry everything needed, not be heavy, and see if they really like being in the wild, with no facebook, internet and video games. 7=10 is a good haul.. for anyone, especially a 10 and 13 year old. Start lighter, shorter, and feel it out. JMO

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've been camping in the GSMNP back country with my kids since each was about 7 years old. Based on my experience, I've got the following suggestions (mostly in line with what everyone else is saying).

1. No one should have a pack that is more than 20% of their body weight.
    This might not be a big issue for kids ages 10 - 13.
    With a 60lb 7yo, I found it very difficult. It's not uncommon to find "kids" back packs that weigh as much as 4 pounds... or 33% or a potential 12lbs limit for a younger child. And when you do find lighter packs, it can be difficult to find one that is bid enough to allow kids to at least carry their own cloths, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag.

2. Start short.
    No more than about two nights.
    No more than about 8 miles each day.
    For those with even younger children, the suggestion is to limit them to no more than 1 mile per day for years in age until you get a chance to gauge their abilities to go farther.
    My (almost) 13yo has done more than 15 miles in a day (and did 13 miles just this past weekend). But I find his comfortable average to be about 10 miles per day (and I'm talking an experienced GSMNP hiker that has already hike more that 50% of the trail in the park with me).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++