WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Which cuben fiber hammock tarp to buy

Trying to decide between Hammock Gear and Zpacks cuben fiber tarp, was leaning toward the Zpack but a little concerned when I see they have no reviews on their web site...any opinions on the Zpack?

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Trying to decide between Hammock Gear and Zpacks cuben fiber tarp, was leaning toward the Zpack but a little concerned when I see they have no reviews on their web site...any opinions on the Zpack?
    They will practically be identical.

But Hammock Gear and Hammock Camping go hand in hand. You'll probably receive a more personal customer service experience with HG if you ever need it.

I'm sure the Zpacks is fine. They've been making them for a while.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I’d go with Hammock Gear as far as hammock name recognition and experience. There is a shortage of DCF right now however so unless you want Camo, you’ll have to wait until October for HG. Zpacks may have inventory and also Dutch makes a DCF hammock tarp to consider. Dutchwaregear.com

I would get one that is wide enough to enjoy rain in porch mode and one cut to allow for closing the doors if it gets cold and windy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

HG is my inclination but at the moment Zpacks website says shipping in 7-10 days and HG says 3 weeks, although in my experience I've usually gotten HG stuff in about 1/2 the stated lead time... I guess they just want to be conservative with their estimates.

Strongly agree with fastfoxengineering's statement about customer service — HG's is great and unfortunately it is nearly non-existent now with Zpacks.

I like doing business with HG very much. They make good stuff at a reasonable price and do not over hype their products. Have purchased a tarp, UQ, and several smaller things from them.

Thanks for the input guys, I agree about what said regarding HG, I had a lengthy conversation with Adam a few years back before buying my quilts from him, seems to be a good guy you want to do business with.

HG rocks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

If you go with a HG cuben tarp you should strongly consider the camo version of the Winter Palace.I have the standard in opaque green.It's just a mite too small and becomes a green house in summer time.The Winter Palace is big enough to get the job done and camo cuts way down on the green house effect,plus it looks better.

If cost is a mitigating factor,you might consider a War Bonnet Superfly in 20 d.

Images

I realize weight, even ounces are important for the ultralighter, and long distance thru-hikers, but the cost of Cuban fiber, ($400+) for simply a hammock tarp, seems excessive. I have a Kelty Noah tarp to make a canopy over my hammock, it’s great wind and rain protection, and not heavy at all. Of course, I’m not carrying it 2000 miles either. Some stuff just cost too much, for little advantage, in my book.
    Last edited by Ben795; 06-18-2019 at 21:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben795 View Post
    I realize weight, even ounces are important for the ultralighter, and long distance thru-hikers, but the cost of Cuban fiber, ($400+) for simply a hammock tarp, seems excessive. I have a Kelty Noah tarp to make a canopy over my hammock, it’s great wind and rain protection, and not heavy at all. Of course, I’m not carrying it 2000 miles either. Some stuff just cost too much, for little advantage, in my book.
    For some its worth it. For other's its not.

Cuben Fiber has other advantages aside from a weight reduction. People always tend to not consider this.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ben795 View Post
    "Not heavy at all" is subjective to say the least...... Kelty lists Noahs 12 at "2lbs 3oz (35oz) minimum weight," which I suppose is without ridgeline and guy lines, and my HG hex 11' (lists at 5.14oz) weighs 6.85oz with ridge- and guy lines, and stuff sack.

Objectively, the HG hex is less than 1/6th the weight — more than 29oz lighter! — than the Kelty, and in the UL realm $150 for a 29oz weight reduction is considered a megamondo bang-for-buck ratio.

HYOH and pay what you will and carry what you want, but there are solid reasons that DCF nearly always ends up in a UL kit.

++ New Posts ++