Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-30-2019
    Location
    Shickshinny, PA
    Posts
    1

    Default rain fly every night

    Hey doing to be attempting a thru hike soon and was just wondering do you set up your rain fly every night or only when its calling for rain?

  2. #2

    Default

    I operate on a sliding scale depending on forecast, sky and paranoia level

    Nothing but bug net is always preferred, but if there is any chance at all I'll need it, I will string the tarp without unfurling it from its net bag. If I'm a little more concerned I will stake it out and then refurl it, leaving the stakes in place for quick deployment. Either of these allow me to wake up as rain starts and get something over head pretty fast. If there is risk of rain but not a big storm expected I'll pitch the tarp really high and wide so there's plenty of room for air movement. That has gotten me in trouble more than once though when a surprise heavy rain pooled on the tarp
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

    http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-01-2016
    Location
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Posts
    772

    Default

    A friend of mine once told me that she left off her rain fly overnight (southeastern USA) and her bag was quite damp from condensation/dew in the morning, despite no rain. Might also depends on where you set up (in a meadow, you'll get it worse than under a tree's branches).

    Edit: sorry, just noticed this was under hammock camping. Obviously then you wouldn't be in a meadow, and more likely under a tree. Might depend on how much coverage you get from the tree's limbs and how far above your head they are.
    Last edited by Time Zone; 06-16-2019 at 07:29. Reason: noticed subforum name after posting! :D

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sky10210 View Post
    Hey doing to be attempting a thru hike soon and was just wondering do you set up your rain fly every night or only when its calling for rain?
    Yes, because there's other stuff that falls on me during the night, such as flotsam/jetsam from trees and bird poop.

    And I sleep better simply knowing that if it does rain I'm all set with nothing to worry about. Just one experience having to leap out of the hammock at 2 a.m. to set up the tarp will probably make this your default configuration.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  5. #5

    Default

    I keep my bug net on my hammock even in Winter. That catches anything falling on me other than rain.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

    http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

  6. #6

    Default

    Even when the weather looks good at sunset, storms can blow in during the night, especially in the mountains. I'd rather just set up the fly to begin with.

  7. #7

    Default

    Since I prefer uninterrupted sleep, I always put the tent/fly up. If I decide it's not necessary I'd be cowboy camping

  8. #8

    Default

    I always setup the tarp. Dew falls most nights. It also provides some wind protection and warmth. It has been surprisingly cold. The tarp also provides a little privacy.

    Want it pitched down tight or wide open? People do it different ways. Doesn't seem to matter. Do what makes you sleep better.

  9. #9
    Registered User ezdoesit's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-25-2003
    Location
    Brick, New Jersey
    Age
    69
    Posts
    76

    Default

    I'll be Thru-Hiking again with my Hennessey Hammock and always put my tarp up I have gone to sleep many nights on the A.T. with beautiful stars and a wonderful breeze making for a great night then Boom out of nowhere the skies opened up so yes put your tarp up.
    ezdoesit
    EZ-DOES-IT

    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

  10. #10
    imscotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-13-2011
    Location
    North Reading, MA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,237
    Images
    7

    Default

    Often if it looks nice I'll either go without, or leave my tarp strung over me, but still in its 'snakeskin'. I want to see the stars.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”


    John Greenleaf Whittier

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-16-2015
    Location
    Chaumont,Ny
    Posts
    958

    Default

    Someone actually trusts weathermen ! Wow


    Thom

  12. #12
    GoldenBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-31-2007
    Location
    Upper Darby, PA
    Posts
    707
    Journal Entries
    56
    Images
    335

    Unhappy A mistake I made ONCE

    > do you set up your rain fly every night or only when its calling for rain?

    On my first night of real backpacking I felt so hot and sweaty that I didn't put the rain fly over my netting.

    https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/ent...-the-Year-quot

    Since then I've put it on top, at least partially, every night.

  13. #13
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Join Date
    02-25-2007
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,242
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    5

    Default

    Even when the weather doesn't call for rain, I'm using the rainfly to avoid condensation. But then most of my camping is in GSMNP were the humidity can be 110% during a drought.

  14. #14
    AT 2012
    Join Date
    09-11-2006
    Location
    Wallingford, CT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Often if it looks nice I'll either go without, or leave my tarp strung over me, but still in its 'snakeskin'. I want to see the stars.
    I'm with you... a high tarp pitch or none at all is just such a treat, I am inclined to try it if the forecast is good/ perfect. And there is the lazy factor... how nice to not have to put the darn thing up only to take it down in the morning?
    Lazarus

  15. #15
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    73
    Posts
    8,284

    Default

    The Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina rain forests will teach you what you need to know.
    Wayne

  16. #16

    Default

    You are tired...set up your roof and hope you don’t need todo anything in the middle of a downpour


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

  17. #17
    Registered User tarditi's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-15-2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    178

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Yes, because there's other stuff that falls on me during the night, such as flotsam/jetsam from trees and bird poop.

    And I sleep better simply knowing that if it does rain I'm all set with nothing to worry about. Just one experience having to leap out of the hammock at 2 a.m. to set up the tarp will probably make this your default configuration.
    x2 I do likewise for the same reason

  18. #18

    Default

    I very much prefer sleeping in my open hammock with no tarp over me, nothing but some branches and the amazing, and beautiful night sky. Plus, that's one less thing to deal with in the morning (by "one", I'm including the stakes too)
    In the fall you will get some leaves in your hammock across a night, lol. I don't mind'em a bit, and they're easy enough to get out in the morning After the leaves are down and before they return, the night sky views are So Nice! Nice enough to keep me up for a while, just looking at it, happy and loving it.

    All that said, pretty much every one I've ever been around who also uses a hammock, puts their tarp up every night with their hammock. I don't get it, but then, they don't get why I don't use my tarp unless I have to. I can tell you that we are each happy with the way we do it, so we are each absolutely doing it right.

    As is said - to each their own, and hang your own hang

    u.w. / willin'

  19. #19
    Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Join Date
    01-04-2006
    Location
    Northport, Alabama
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,363
    Images
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by u.w. View Post
    I very much prefer sleeping in my open hammock with no tarp over me, nothing but some branches and the amazing, and beautiful night sky. Plus, that's one less thing to deal with in the morning (by "one", I'm including the stakes too)
    In the fall you will get some leaves in your hammock across a night, lol. I don't mind'em a bit, and they're easy enough to get out in the morning After the leaves are down and before they return, the night sky views are So Nice! Nice enough to keep me up for a while, just looking at it, happy and loving it.

    All that said, pretty much every one I've ever been around who also uses a hammock, puts their tarp up every night with their hammock. I don't get it, but then, they don't get why I don't use my tarp unless I have to. I can tell you that we are each happy with the way we do it, so we are each absolutely doing it right.

    As is said - to each their own, and hang your own hang

    u.w. / willin'
    Same here.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

  20. #20

    Default

    Having to put up a rain fly at 2:00 am due to unexpected rain that got everything soaked was enough for me to use the fly as standard gear anytime the tent is set up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •