WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SOBO attempt advice needed.

Hello guys and gals, I知 hoping to start a SOBO thru hike attempt towards end of July this year. As I知 preparing I want to tap into the wealth of knowledge available here.

I知 hoping to start with a 40 degree sleep system, based on what I致e seen of average weather reports I should be good with this for awhile however I have never been to Maine and don稚 want to start off on the wrong foot. For anyone with experience in Maine at this time of year would you be okay with being comfort rated at 40 degrees and make it through the night at ~30?

I have also heard that you need to be south of the whites by October, I don稚 think that should be a problem for me however just so I know what I知 getting into can anyone explain to me exactly why you should be south of the whites by October?

I also understand that GSMNP is probably where I知 going to hit the worst weather and coldest temps. I知 thinking I値l probably pass through there sometime in November or December. Can anyone give me an idea if I should plan to acquire special equipment such as spikes or an ice ax if I am hiking GSMNP at this time?

If anyone has any other suggestions or advice for me for this trip I知 happy to hear them!

Thank you all in advance for your time
    Last edited by Ginger.Snap; 06-16-2019 at 14:41.

I'm guessing you don't have much practical experience yet.

Okay, I'd go with a 30 degree bag right off. Not a good place to skimp on. It might be overkill for a while, but on a clear night with a wind out of Canada, it can get darn chilly early in the morning.

You'll be hitting the Whites around the beginning of September and it's definitely starting to get cold at night. You'll want to be able to supplement that 30 degree bag down to 20 at times.

The reason you want to be through the Whites is by Oct 1 the chances of snow go way up. Sloppy wet snow usually, or worse freezing rain. Which also happens quite often around the end of September. The only question is how long does it last and where you happen to be when it hits.

So really, you have to gear up for winter pretty much right away. Or at least have it handy to have sent to you, preferably before you really need it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger.Snap View Post
    Hello guys and gals, I知 hoping to start a SOBO thru hike attempt towards end of July this year. As I知 preparing I want to tap into the wealth of knowledge available here.
    I like starting sobo late. Bugs will be less of a problem and you will be past the nobo's by VT or so.

I知 hoping to start with a 40 degree sleep system, based on what I致e seen of average weather reports I should be good with this for awhile however I have never been to Maine and don稚 want to start off on the wrong foot. For anyone with experience in Maine at this time of year would you be okay with being comfort rated at 40 degrees and make it through the night at ~30?
    I always carry a 20 degree quilt with me in 3 seasons. There are plenty of times I am glad for the extra warmth.

I have also heard that you need to be south of the whites by October, I don稚 think that should be a problem for me however just so I know what I知 getting into can anyone explain to me exactly why you should be south of the whites by October?
    The Whites can get nasty very quick. They will be beautiful if you are lucky enough.

I also understand that GSMNP is probably where I知 going to hit the worst weather and coldest temps. I知 thinking I値l probably pass through there sometime in November or December. Can anyone give me an idea if I should plan to acquire special equipment such as spikes or an ice ax if I am hiking GSMNP at this time?
    I've walked through the Smoky's that time of year in shorts, but one year a little later it was -10 degrees. Traction could be useful.

If anyone has any other suggestions or advice for me for this trip I知 happy to hear them!
    Don't call it an attempt. Get it in your mind that you are walking from ME to GA. It's a mental thing.

Thank you all in advance for your time
    That is my take on a sobo walk.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

This is why you want to get through the Whites before October: https://www.conwaydailysun.com/news/...af02e768e.html

I'd get a 20* bag or Quilt. Sleeping bag ratings are normally a survival rating, not a "warm enough so I sleep well" rating. Yeah, it gets cold up here come September.

Well thank you all for your words of wisdom. I am just going to start with my 20 degree setup. It should make things simpler and easier

Sorry I'm late to the conversation. I had a similar discussion with Enlightened Equipment when setting up my system for what I hope will be a SOBO in July 2021. I am aware they have financial interest in their advice but I have none sharing this with you.

I went with a 20 and a 50 degree rated EE quilts. Together they are rated down to 0 degrees F. I feel this will give me relative comfort over a wide temperature range. EE has some nice charts on temperature ratings when combining their quilts. I was going to go with 950 down on both but they suggested making the 50 degree synthetic as the weight and size penalty was minimal. The total weight of the quilts is just over two pounds, something like 34 or 35 ounces. I can weigh them this evening if its important to you. I plan on using a NeoAir XTherm, a tent, and of course clothing to supplement.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    Sorry I'm late to the conversation. I had a similar discussion with Enlightened Equipment when setting up my system for what I hope will be a SOBO in July 2021. I am aware they have financial interest in their advice but I have none sharing this with you.

I went with a 20 and a 50 degree rated EE quilts. Together they are rated down to 0 degrees F. I feel this will give me relative comfort over a wide temperature range. EE has some nice charts on temperature ratings when combining their quilts. I was going to go with 950 down on both but they suggested making the 50 degree synthetic as the weight and size penalty was minimal. The total weight of the quilts is just over two pounds, something like 34 or 35 ounces. I can weigh them this evening if its important to you. I plan on using a NeoAir XTherm, a tent, and of course clothing to supplement.
    You surprised me with your answer and I was happy to see it.

That's exactly what I've been carrying for a couple years...an EE 20 degree down quilt and an EE 50 degree synthetic quilt.

I often wondered what the combined rating was. I'll remember the 0 degree rating you mentioned.

Thank you very much!
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

I believe that 0 degree is survival, but with my supplements I hope to be comfortable at least down to the single digits. Hopefully I won't need to find out.

https://support.enlightenedequipment...b-zero-camping

That is what I plan to do with my underquilts (I will be hammock camping) I have a 40degree EE UQ and a 20degree UGQ underquilt, I知 also planning to make an underquilt protector. I知 glad to know that a 50 and a 20 will get you down to 0 because then I should be able to get down to 0 with that setup no problem if need be. I still only will have the 20 degree topquilt but I can always supplement with clothing.

++ New Posts ++