WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ideal start date for nobo fall thru hike to catch fall color and bugling elk?

Planning to give a CT thru another shot with the malinois pup this September...plan is to fly into Denver get a one way rental with drop following morning in Durango. I would drop off a few resupply boxes along the way as well as pick up a new melly in Leadville, i realize it’s like going around your arsehole to get to your elbow with this route...thinking about the 14th of September for a start in a 24-25 day pace....thoughts? Too late??

Shelter and sleep
    cuben duomid
    20* HG burrow
    Lg xtherm
    Montbell anorak
    Melly
    Possum down socks
    Med wt capiline.
    Liner gloves
    Wind pants
    Helium rain shell
    Pup will use cut down Zlite w my helium and melly over him.

Thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard telling. Maybe all the snow will have melted by then.

If the weather co-operates, it could be fantastic. If not, well you know. My guess is winter is starting later then conventional wisdom suggests. Still, when it does come, look out. Going NOBO you'll be out of the big mountains by October and that should help with the risk factor. Better have an extra day of food on hand in case you get stuck.

I did the northern 100 miles starting labor day weekend (not a good idea). Had a brand new 20 degree bag. Which was fine at first, but then I had a 20 degree night and it was a bit marginal. That was just into September at 8,000 feet. How close do you want to cut it and how much do you want to suffer in case it's cut too close?

I'd bring waterproof mitten shells too. Keeping your hands dry is a big help in a storm.
    Man, I really want to go back there and try again before I'm too old and lame. Which doesn't give me much time...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I wouldn't start that late.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Airfare booked!! Fly into Denver Tuesday September 10.....still debating nobo vs sobo......thoughts

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Airfare booked!! Fly into Denver Tuesday September 10.....still debating nobo vs sobo......thoughts

I would almost certainly go NOBO. The very-possible new snows in mid September are almost never a problem in the higher (southern) portion of the trail. But towards the end of September is another story.... those couple of weeks seems to make a big difference and you might get a big dump that could interfere with finishing the trail in Durango. Who knows, some years we're snow free until well into October. But statistically, it might behoove you to get through the San Juans before later in September.

Towards Denver, the lower portions of the trail, who cares about late September snows.... usually, at least. And there is some great Aspen-peeping along the northern parts of the trail to enjoy in late September, and even early October.

Just some thoughts. Enjoy CO in September! The best month for hiking pretty much anywhere in the northern hemisphere, IMHO. We're heading to hike the AT in Maine this September. We'll miss being in CO though.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I would almost certainly go NOBO. The very-possible new snows in mid September are almost never a problem in the higher (southern) portion of the trail. But towards the end of September is another story.... those couple of weeks seems to make a big difference and you might get a big dump that could interfere with finishing the trail in Durango. Who knows, some years we're snow free until well into October. But statistically, it might behoove you to get through the San Juans before later in September.

Towards Denver, the lower portions of the trail, who cares about late September snows.... usually, at least. And there is some great Aspen-peeping along the northern parts of the trail to enjoy in late September, and even early October.

Just some thoughts. Enjoy CO in September! The best month for hiking pretty much anywhere in the northern hemisphere, IMHO. We're heading to hike the AT in Maine this September. We'll miss being in CO though.
    As always thx CR for the information! I already booked a one way rental car from DIA to Durango! Plan to start mid morning sept 11 nobo! Can’t wait! Its been over two years since I’ve hiked in Co!!!! Ready for some cool weather and amazing scenery!!! Co never disappoints!

++ New Posts ++