WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ride to Northern New Hampshire from Boston

I know this is a long shot, but I have to try. Tuesday, I'm flying into Logan Airport in Boston. My plane arrives about 10:30 AM. Then I have to wait until almost 4 PM for a bus to Gorham, NH, which gets in at almost 9 PM. If anyone is going that way and wishes to save me from a longggg day, I'll split all transport costs (gas, tolls) and throw in a lunch.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Actually, the bus gets to Gorham at more like 9:30 since they never factor in the stop and go traffic leaving Boston at 4 PM. Weekends it's mostly on time. I've ridden this bus a lot.

The chances of anyone driving from Boston to Gorham is slim. Most people who actually live in Boston don't have cars. So someone from the south shore or the suburbs would have to drive into the city to pick you up. No one drives into Boston on a weekday morning unless they absolutely have to.

Anyway, Boston is a nice city to wander around in and stretch your legs. For $10 you can store your pack with the guys at the parking garage on top of the bus station. I usually wander over to Faneuil hall for lunch ($$$ but lots to choose from), then go over to Boston Common and visit the public gardens.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Or since you are a LD Sailor, you might also be interested in checking out the USS Constitution — if you are able to your stash pack somewhere since the Navy personal would probably not be allowed to hold it for you at the security check. Consider checking out harbor shuttle / water taxi out of Logan to kill time.

Images

If you take can get over to Long Wharf, you could take a ferry over to George’s Island and explore Ft. Warren, or to Spectacle Island, both beautiful trips. Check the schedules first, to be sure you can get back to get your bus north. You would have no problem taking your pack with you. Most Island visitors have at least a day pack. The Ferry ride is pretty cheap, like $27 round trip, with pretty frequent turn arounds. Boston Harbor Islands are beautiful. Living my entire 62 years in Greater Boston, I am amazed at how many locals have never been out to them. Just a thought to kill some time enjoyably.

Thanks for the input. I kind of knew my chances of getting a ride were slim. Nevertheless, the suggestions on how to kill the time in Boston are welcome. It's been over 50 years since I was there, so I'll have a look around while waiting for the bus.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."

you might be better off taking concord trailways to Concord, NH (frequent busses) and then trying to get a ride from there. But that of course is touch and go as well.

Our family of four is flying to Boston on Wed. arriving at midnight. We will drive to Gorham, NH on Thursday morning. If you would like to wait, we could try to accommodate.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderingmama View Post
    Our family of four is flying to Boston on Wed. arriving at midnight. We will drive to Gorham, NH on Thursday morning. If you would like to wait, we could try to accommodate.
    That's a very generous offer. Unfortunately, I have one of those non-refundable airline tickets. Maybe they'll oversell the flight and bump me in which case I will definitely take you up on your offer.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Actually, the bus gets to Gorham at more like 9:30 since they never factor in the stop and go traffic leaving Boston at 4 PM.
    That bus schedule says arrival at 8:30. It arrived in Gorham at 10 PM. UGH!

Anyway, Boston is a nice city to wander around in and stretch your legs. For $10 you can store your pack with the guys at the parking garage on top of the bus station.
    Bag storage is now $14. Expensive for 5 hours of storage, but I did it and then wandered through Chinatown and beyond. Had a nice lunch in Chinatown, too.

You can also grab train from north station up to southern nh, maybe there’s a connection/shuttle from durham area.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    You can also grab train from north station up to southern nh, maybe there’s a connection/shuttle from durham area.
    Nope, the train dead ends at Lowell, MA and there's no way to get out of Lowell - other then take the train back to Boston.

Nope, the train dead ends at Lowell, MA and there's no way to get out of Lowell - other then take the train back to Boston.
    I ride the downeaster all the time, it goes all the way to Freeport, Maine and stops in Durham, Exeter, and Dover NH.

I forgot about the Downeaster, but that still doesn't help. There is only one bus to Gorham and it travels from South Station (or Logan) and shoots straight up 93 to Concord, then takes 25/16 the rest of the way. The train goes out along the coast.

++ New Posts ++