I hope this is the right spot to put this topic. If not, please put it, where it belongs

My plans are to do a sabbatical and attempt a north-bound thru-hike on the A.T. I hope I can make it happen in the next years, but I just can`t confirm a date, at the moment. There are just too many things that need to be considered and arranged, before departing on that adventure.

I am a quite experienced hiker, but not in alpine conditions. I used to live in Switzerland from 2008 to 2010, and did multiple day hikes in the alps. Last year I hiked the Gendarmstien in Denmark, a very scenic route, but nothing compared to the A.T.

So my plans are, to hike the Gudbrandsdal-path in Norway, as it takes you up and over the Dovrefjell, where there can be snow until summer. It takes around 32 days to complete it, off-days not included. There are multiple shelters along this way. You can find them throughout Scandinavia.
I think this could be a great test hike for the A.T.

This year I wanted to hike the Haervejen in Denmark, which would have taken 3, or 4 weeks to complete. Unfortunately I ruptured my achilles tendon, while running, and I am grounded until september. Hopefully I`ll be able to do a smaller hike, then.

I have some family in Seattle, who I could ask to send me some resupplies and gear. My current gear is fine, I think, lightweight, sturdy and easy to handle. Only thing I still need to find are good boots. While doing the daytrips in the alps, I had some real alpine boots, first, with a stiff sole. They were a pain in the ass, so to say. I never got used to them, and finally got me some La Sportiva boots. And got blisters everytime I wore them. Last year I hiked in trainers, which was fine, but there were no mountains and no rugged terrain.

What I also need to find out is, what kind of visa I will need to stay in the US for that long. And I need to find somebody, who would take care of my cats, while I`m away. And I`m sure, there are many other things and problems that need to solved in advance.

If you have any advice for me, just let me know! Also, if there are other hikers from Germany, or Europe, on here, feel free to contact me!