WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Father and 12 yr old son. First Hike. Wonder about travel back to start when complete

My time off from work is far and few between. My son and I are going to Springer this week to hike and hammock camp for a few days 5-6 at most. I m wondering if transportation back to the vehicle at the start will be possible or difficult to work out when we finish. Advice on this and any and all aspects of the upcoming trip would be great.

Generally people advise leaving the car at the end point and shuttling to the start. That way you can leave whenever you finish your hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TrailMurse View Post
    My time off from work is far and few between. My son and I are going to Springer this week to hike and hammock camp for a few days 5-6 at most. I m wondering if transportation back to the vehicle at the start will be possible or difficult to work out when we finish. Advice on this and any and all aspects of the upcoming trip would be great.
    You said that your time off work is "far and few between". For that reason, it is well worth the extra effort to get a shuttle. If you've never done it before, you might be tempted to hike "out and bacK". Don't do that. The sense of adventure hiking 40 miles in 1 direction is FAR MORE than hiking 20 miles out and 20 miles back. Psychologically, this is just a far better trip.

Use this link to call around and find someone... https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/at-shuttles.php

Generally, the shuttle drivers know the roads in the area a lot better than you. You can benefit from their advice too.

I second what the guy above said. Just get a shuttle and you're good to go.

There's a road crossing about 1 north of Springer. I recommend getting dropped off there (or leaving your car). Walk back a mile to the terminus then start hiking north!

Happy trails
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

Images

Sounds like a great trip. It's fairly easy to set up a shuttle, but probably best done in advance.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Will be a lot of fun memories, great section. Might consider going from amicalola on the approach trail to neels, great place to stop. That’s about 40 miles.

I'll third or 4th or 5th your plan. Park at Springer (or Amicalola) and then get a return shuttle wherever you may pull off. As a veteran of hiking with sons (and a daughter) that age, I would NOT advise you to park where you think you'll end up and shuttle from there to your starting point. Rarely did I we ever complete a hike as planned and we then had to pay for shuttles coming AND going. You know where you're starting.....drive there, get a shuttle back. There will be PLENTY of options and even other hikers to help you find a shuttle service wherever you decide to pull off.

FWIW....I'm heading down tomorrow to start from Hot Springs, NC and head north to Erwin (and beyond?) with my youngest a week or so.....so I'm in the same boat!

++ New Posts ++