WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Laurel Creek Shelter

Does anyone know what kind of songbird lives at the Laurel Creek Shelter that sings so incredibly loudly at 5:00 am?

Images

Whippoorwill?

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Does anyone know what kind of songbird lives at the Laurel Creek Shelter that sings so incredibly loudly at 5:00 am?
    this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIxfVSS_65o

It wasn't a whippoorwill, I'm familiar with their song. This one was much more melodious...and loud

I work for the Audubon Society...

If you could provide more details I will help identify the culprit

Its almost certainly not a white-throated sparrow. They breed in the boreal forest north of Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    I work for the Audubon Society...

If you could provide more details I will help identify the culprit
    I don't remember the song, but it was more of a song than just a few notes. It was very loud, and it started at 5:00 am, where everywhere else I slept during that section, they (the birds) started at 5:30.

I doubt that's enough information to identify it - my hope was that someone from that area of Virginia, or someone who has stayed at that shelter and is familiar with birds would have identified that particular one.

I got there early in the day, so I had time to read the log book, and for weeks this bird was the topic of people's writings. Things like "No bears, no mice, but that damn bird..."

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I don't remember the song, but it was more of a song than just a few notes. It was very loud, and it started at 5:00 am, where everywhere else I slept during that section, they (the birds) started at 5:30.

I doubt that's enough information to identify it - my hope was that someone from that area of Virginia, or someone who has stayed at that shelter and is familiar with birds would have identified that particular one.

I got there early in the day, so I had time to read the log book, and for weeks this bird was the topic of people's writings. Things like "No bears, no mice, but that damn bird..."

Haha....thats interesting

I would need more info for a positive ID......so the mystery continues!

Do you have mockingbird? One sits in a tree next to my home and sings all night.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Mockingbird is Florida's state bird, so yes...but I've not heard a mockingbird sing like this bird.
    Maybe I'll post the question on the Facebook AT page. There seems to be a lot of people from that area on the page.

At 5:30 in the morning in the open and close by, many spring songbirds will sound loud. The early hour makes me wonder: American robin?

Was the song unusual in any way? Whistle? Warble? Caroling? Mechanical-sounding? Rising? Dropping?

Some other guess possibilities: ovenbird, eastern towhee, red-eyed vireo

Cornell University has a complete set of bird songs online and searchable. See: https://www.birds.cornell.edu/home/

Click the link, enter (for example), "red-eyed vireo" and then click the microphone icon. You'll get to hear that species. Ditto all the others.

Brown Thrasher?
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post
    At 5:30 in the morning in the open and close by, many spring songbirds will sound loud. The early hour makes me wonder: American robin
    Occum's razor. This was my initial thought. The robin is often overlooked because it is so common. I live in town and most days the robin wakes me up before my alarm. I'm talking like 4:30 in the morning. We have one in our yard with an unusual song. Has a funny trill in it that fooled me into thinking it was a house finch or rose breasted grosbeak until I saw it singing.

++ New Posts ++