The original plan was to hike from Hanover to Gorham over two weeks. Weather and illness conspired to shorten the section to end at Pinkham Notch instead of Rattle River--122 miles instead of 143.

Highlights:
  • hiking to the summit of Washington twice, both in good weather. The second time I finished at sunset, which meant walking down the auto road. I wouldn't recommend it but the stars and views at night of the lights below were amazing.
  • Galehead Hut--did work for stay and the croo there was amazing and very accommodating to thru and section hikers alike.
  • Eliza Brook Shelter--took refuge here one night rather than summit the Kinsmans in thunder and lightning. A beautiful shelter and camp area.
  • The Notch Hostel--one of the best I've experienced on trail--clean, well-organized, and friendly.
  • Rattle River Hostel--great place and since they rescued me from the bottom of the Auto Road at 1 a.m. I owe them a lot.

Lowlights:
  • the bugs were beyond belief. I nearly ended my hike because my face, legs, and hands swelled up from black fly bites.
  • the mud. Vermont ain't got nothing over New Hampshire.
  • Liberty Springs Campsite--the AMC caretaker was an a$$hole. I hammocked, and the spot he decided to permit me to set up was on a steep incline over boulders. Skip this one.
  • Mizpah Hut croo--to ask a hiker how far they've hiked before deciding whether to offer them work for stay is wrong. For some 20 miles is easy in the Whites;for others 10 miles is a real accomplishment.
  • AMC Highland Center and Pinkham Notch Joe Dodge Lodge--in general these were good places to stay. A little pricey but clean and the food was excellent. There are no laundry facilities however, and if you're doing a thru hike or LASH you end up having to shower with your clothes and hope they dry.

I go back in September to pick up at Pinkham Notch to about the 2,020 mile marker.