WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Colorado?

Images

Here's my Collegiate west Caltopo link. On PC's/laptops/etc, there is no caltopo app, as far as I know, just go to caltopo.com, you work right on their website. You can link caltopo to an email address, like a gmail account, and therefore save your work. Or you can export GPX files (and import them).

https://caltopo.com/m/P4GB

I've stayed at the Twin Lakes lodge a couple times, cute place about $100/night, probably more on weekends. IIRC, there is a hostel in Twin Lakes as well, never checked it out. Glenwood Springs has reasonable accommodations, if you're approaching Aspen from that direction. Aspen, of course, is ridiculously expensive. I've stayed at the "Difficult" campground right outside of Aspen, doesn't seem to fill up, and you can reserve spots there online. All the other actual public (national forest, etc) campgrounds near aspen always fill up in the summer. There are plenty of places to "disperse camp" right off the highway along CO82 between Twin lakes and Indy pass. There's also a hostel in Leadville, maybe 20 minutes from Twin Lakes.

Thanks so much, ok so it's not like guthooks which I've never used either but from what I understand you don't need signal for guthooks. I have at& t don't know if I'd have service? And thanks for the cw,, link is that twin lakes your leaving from? It kind of looks more like a lollipop hike then a loop. Great info on places to stay exactly what I was looking for and I appreciate the diversity of places.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Thanks so much, ok so it's not like guthooks which I've never used either but from what I understand you don't need signal for guthooks. I have at& t don't know if I'd have service? And thanks for the cw,, link is that twin lakes your leaving from? It kind of looks more like a lollipop hike then a loop. Great info on places to stay exactly what I was looking for and I appreciate the diversity of places.
    I was confused as to what you wanted... that caltopo link only shows the collegiate west part, not the full loop. To do the loop, one returns along the collegiate east. For completeness, I'll add the CE on that map later today or tomorrow. Those trails at the bottom of the current map are just "shortcuts" to get from west to east. I'll fix all this up and let you know when done, heading out for a hike today, back later.

Don't know how good/bad AT&T is, but I doubt if any carrier has much coverage along the west side. I did not have much with Verizon. Better coverage here/there along the east.

No you're correct I'll just have 5,6 days so I'll have to do a up and back on the west side or complete the west and get shuttled back to my car ?

Images

No you're correct I'll just have 5,6 days so I'll have to do a up and back on the west side or complete the west and get shuttled back to my car ?
    Yep, do the west side one-way, and pre-arrange a shuttle, unless you are a great hitcher. There are trail angels in Salida that might be willing to drive you one way, but it is a long drive and I would assume they would charge you something, which is fair. I don't have any numbers for them, try searching. Might be someone in Twin Lakes as well.

I would go southbound probably... Or just get dropped off at Monarch and walk back to Twin Lakes (northbound). Good parking at Twin Lakes, a NF parking lot on the south side of 82 right in town, across from the store. I guess both directions work equally well since the remaining snow should be completely gone by early September.

Enjoy! You're doing a couple of fantastic hikes at a great time of year.

Notice that I put in an "Alt End SC" (alternate ending shortcut) that would knock off the last 10 miles at the south end, if you're running behind or short on time. The "Alt End" winds up at the Monarch hotel, a run down, but still operating old ski lodge. The first part of that last 10 mile stretch (purple track) is beautiful and nice, but the last 4-5 miles or so is ugly and boring, basically walking along the top of the ski area on gravelly access roads.

Thanks rob, you're the best. I really appreciate all the good info., takes some of the nervesines out of my trip a little out of my comfort zone. Maybe because I'm doing this all on my own. Well help from whiteblaze of course. I just really hunger for different trails with views and payoffs. Cannot wait to get out there! If you think of anything else please post. My next objective is to find a place to stay and look into shuttle. If anybody out there reading this has info for shuttles from salida back to twin lakes please let me know.

Images

Here's how you get a list of shuttles; you email the CTF and they will send you the list. Good luck to you!

https://coloradotrail.org/traveling-...rs-and-angels/

Alright I've contacted all but a few shuttle drivers no luck so far . Worst case scenario I'll get to monarch and call Chaffe?? Or taxi whatever. Just a couple weeks away now! I managed to secure the hiker room at the twin lakes lodge for the nights that I wanted. And tho and behold is that mt. Elbert Colorado highest peak in the backyard? I could trot up and down that on labor day. The info on ct, page I found for trailhead still apply? Drive so far park and walk to start up? East ridge side? Easy to follow up and back? And 1 final question em I dumb for doing these hikes without satellite phone? No garmen yet.

And my apologies to all, the Colorado trail page is where I should have put this I now realize. Hey I'm relatively new here give me a break would ya.

Just curious what you driving vs a cheap flight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What am I driving? Or why? I'm driving a Hyundai Santa fe sport. Why? I don't really like flying and rentals and drop offs. Meh,, I know it eats up a lot of time. I'm thinking 2 weeks next year somewhere in the sierras, maybe Tahoe area. Maybe I'll fly then maybe not, I'll just take 3 weeks vacation and drive. Aren't you getting ready for co. Yourselve and did I see you were driving from Florida?

What am I driving? Or why? I'm driving a Hyundai Santa fe sport. Why? I don't really like flying and rentals and drop offs. Meh,, I know it eats up a lot of time. I'm thinking 2 weeks next year somewhere in the sierras, maybe Tahoe area. Maybe I'll fly then maybe not, I'll just take 3 weeks vacation and drive. Aren't you getting ready for co. Yourselve and did I see you were driving from Florida?
    Hhhhhheeeeeellllllll no! It’s only a $300 direct flight to Denver and 3 hours. $80 one way rental!to Durango...ha yea why not what. Few years back I flew to Denver got one way rentals to Leadville for collegiate loop work easily....TRT was nice but didn’t really compare to other parts of Sierra ie off JMT..desolation was beautiful but other sections nothing special and surly wouldn’t want to do in the heat of summer......late September was pleasant but still hot dry on few sections can’t imagine summer time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++