WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Marking straws used for ointments,creams etc in FAK

I guess people know of the lightweight use of straws crimped at the ends, or small jars, to carry small portions of cream,ointmemts etc. I would be interested in how people mark what is in them. Fortunately I don't need to use much but after a while when I review my FAK I find I am not sure what is in them. I have tried marking over micropore tape with some success.

At times, I've used a soldering iron to melt a scribble into the surface of plastic items.
    Would work on jars, but not so much on straws.

When my children were young my wife would have a number of different impromptu containers much as you describe and needed some kind of system to know what was in the container and who it was for. We used Sharpies in different colors for each of us, using a bit of athletic tape on the container that will hold markings we put hashmarks on the container using a code: 1-line for bug repellent, 2-lines for sunscreen, 3-lines for toothpaste, etc. The key for this turned out to be the athletic tape which can be written on and not rub off with handling, even if the contents of the container got onto it.

I write on the straws, bottles, jars, etc. with a permanent marker. Works very well on the straws; more limited success on glass jars that go in the refrigerator (at home obviously). 'Permanent' marker has a tendency to rub off glass over time, especially if it gets wet (like from condensation). Writing where you won't be likely to hold the glass container helps.

Note: permanent marker can be cleaned off (or at least mostly off) plastic containers and lids with a scrubbie.

-FA

Buy a box of mulitly colored straws and use a different color for each item

It would be easier and more convenient to purchase triple antibiotic cream in the .6 oz. packets from REI or Adventuremedicalkits.com than to deal with straws.If you check the adventure medical site and look under "supplies" they have numerous components you can choose from as well as full blown kits if that's your thing.

I think most people come up with their own kits to keep the weight down and it varies by individual as to what is deemed necessary.All I am prepared to deal with is blisters,scrapes,and a minor burn.My ziplock medical kit,including latex gloves,lotions and potions is almost 5 oz.Most UL hikers get by much less than that.

Also,Amazon has numerous bottles and containers that hold small amounts of .5 oz or so if you want to pack other things.A friend of mine put Camp Soap in a reuse eye dropper bottle.Care to guess what happened?

Write on the straw with a fine point Sharpie and put a piece of clear Scotch tape over the writing.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Great advice, Thanks

different colored straws work
    blue for this
    green for that

also, if you do write on something you can use clear plastic tape OVER the writing to keep the writing from being wiped off. Since everyone seems to use smart water bottles I do this on my bottles.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Use frosted scotch tape on the straw, write with lead pencil

++ New Posts ++