WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

We were talking about this shelter in another thread, so I thought I'd pull up this old photo (c. 1996). It hasn't changed much over the years - it's small, but it's a welcome retreat from the rain and wind.

Built in 1937, this shelter was the site of BMECC's ceremonies to officially open the section of the Appalachian Trail from the Susquehanna River to the Lehigh River. It may be the oldest shelter on the AT in the mid-Atlantic region.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

As of today, the shelter was clean, no trash at all, no hiker "left overs" though there were a few paperback novels. The only spring running is #3, way down the hill. I questioned the trail blazing to the last spring as I got totally turned around on the way up. Lightheaded thirsty hikers could easily end up on BOK road, instead of back at the shelter.

Images

When I was there it was a real mess, trail journal was shredded, cleaned up a bit and slept in a tent. Saw a flying squirrel. Nice picnic table!

Oldie not a goodie.

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    We were talking about this shelter in another thread, so I thought I'd pull up this old photo (c. 1996). It hasn't changed much over the years - it's small, but it's a welcome retreat from the rain and wind.

Built in 1937, this shelter was the site of BMECC's ceremonies to officially open the section of the Appalachian Trail from the Susquehanna River to the Lehigh River. It may be the oldest shelter on the AT in the mid-Atlantic region.
    A little hard to tell from the photo but it looks to be of the same design and vintage as Leroy Smith shelter... Agree with Del Q, "oldie not a goodie."

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

Default Oldest Mid-Atlantic Shelter

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    A little hard to tell from the photo but it looks to be of the same design and vintage as Leroy Smith shelter... Agree with Del Q, "oldie not a goodie."
    No, Leroy Smith is newer than that. It was built in 1972 and is a bit different from Bake Oven Knob, being a more dressed and better joined construction. But you're right, both are pretty small and I'd prefer not to sleep in either (well, okay, any shelter.) But Smith is very well maintained.

Shelterbuilder, Bake Oven Knob is only the oldest in the mid-Atlantic if you're not counting NY. Two of the three stone shelters in Harriman State Park (Fingerboard and West Mountain) date from 1928. They're wonderful pieces of architecture (what I've dubbed "Sleepy Hollow Rustic") but I'd avoid sleeping in one like the plague; damp, drafty, and Fingerboard has bats (or at least had them before Colony Collapse Disorder hit) living in the roof beams. Quite lovely if you're sitting out front watching them fly at dusk, but not so good if you're sleeping directly under them.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Strategic:

This is interesting stuff and you seem very well informed.

I hope you start posting here more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Strategic View Post
    Shelterbuilder, Bake Oven Knob is only the oldest in the mid-Atlantic if you're not counting NY. Two of the three stone shelters in Harriman State Park (Fingerboard and West Mountain) date from 1928. They're wonderful pieces of architecture (what I've dubbed "Sleepy Hollow Rustic") but I'd avoid sleeping in one like the plague; damp, drafty, and Fingerboard has bats (or at least had them before Colony Collapse Disorder hit) living in the roof beams. Quite lovely if you're sitting out front watching them fly at dusk, but not so good if you're sleeping directly under them.
    I love the old shelters and I love the term "Sleepy Hollow Rustic". I stayed in all three this spring. Not only does Fingerboard have the lovely bats, but West Mountain had a resident skunk. My only complaint is that it was too early for much mouse activity and no hikers to snore for me. I agree that Strategic should post more often.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Strategic View Post
    No, Leroy Smith is newer than that. It was built in 1972 and is a bit different from Bake Oven Knob, being a more dressed and better joined construction. But you're right, both are pretty small and I'd prefer not to sleep in either (well, okay, any shelter.) But Smith is very well maintained.

Great post! I was unaware of the construction dates of Fingerboard and West Mountain - thanks for correcting me.

Back when many of the "first generation" shelters were being built, there weren't that many people out using them (not like today), and let's face it - you don't build big for a handful of users. Expectations were somewhat different back then, too: somewhere to get in out of the rain or snow was a godsend, no matter how smallish it was. Nowadays, you need to plan for larger groups and more singles, so the shelters have just gotten bigger.

Hope to see you posting here more often!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

Anyone know the water situation as of Aug 1st? 08.

Images

Default Don't count on it

Someone else might know, but I wouldn't count on it. There was a good soaker in western Berks County last night. I don't know how large an area was involved in this rain event or whether it was enough to improve the flow of springs on Kittatinny Ridge.

Images

welp, i'll find out tonight and post when i return ... doing a short 309-lehigh gap trip.

Images

Third spring was NOT running as of aug 3rd ... The man's house "Forget his name" just below the spring on the blue blazed trail offers water from his home .... You may have to bush wack to his house, i couldn't find the trail ...

Images

Thank you for your post. Please post information about the springs at New Tripoli Campsite and George W. Outerbridge Shelter in the appropriate locations!

What darkage confirmed is normal and should be expected by hikers at this time of year unless there's a recent, substantial rain event.

sorry i missed this, i could have told you exactly what you found. usually there is a note taped to the tree with the shelter sign on it indicating lack of water. it was there a week ago. that guys house is a long way down aint it?

Images

The guy's name is Craig, and he and his father (and Grandfather before that) own and run the quarry below the shelter. They have always been great friends of the trail (and BMECC), providing water for hikers and access for trail/shelter maintenence. The third spring is, in fact, named for this fellow, who supposedly found it when he was younger, and brought it's existance to the attention of the shelter maintainer at the time.

Anyone know the water situation for these springs?
    "Impossible just takes a little longer"

Images

My guess is you'd find water the next 4 days based upon weather forecasts if you're prepared to walk downhill to find it, but I wouldn't rely exclusively upon those springs.

Bring water from home and prepare meals which don't require much for their preparation or clean-up.

Images

Any current info on the state of the 3 springs aug 2009 ?

Heading out this week and wanna know if i need to bladder up and just pass this spring or take the walk down .... most times there are notes ... but i figured i'd check WB.

i'd imagine the third spring would be flowing, but its a long way down. probably better to carry unless you are camping nearby, which i can't imagine why you'd want to. where are you starting from?

Images

Just going from 309 into palmerton ... quick overnight or so taking a friends kid along .... he's 17 and wanted to try it out so i broke out some extra gear and gonna head out ... its what ... 1 1/2 to the third spring ? ... its a heck of a walk but not one i'm not used too .... thanks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++