WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone ever paired a Z-Packs pocket tarp with doors and a MLD innernet?

...just looking at some UL options to get my base wt down
    -s

Quote Originally Posted by cr115 View Post
    ...just looking at some UL options to get my base wt down
    -s
    No but the hexamid tarp + SMD serenity inner was a go to setup for many at one point. Worked really well.

As long as the new hexamid tarp still has peak and corner attachments then this should work well.

Bear paw? Use to make custom innernets for the hexamid. But his quality and integrity are questionable

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I have a six moon design net for use with a hexamid. I don’t use it often . It’s 10 oz I think . Pocket tarp is to fragile for me.

Thom

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    I have a six moon design net for use with a hexamid. I don’t use it often . It’s 10 oz I think . Pocket tarp is to fragile for me.

Thom
    The new pocket tarp is .51 unlike the original. 34. .

May or may not be news to you

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Thanks Fastfox . I was thinking the old school pocket tarp with the lighter material and no doors.

Thom

The original .34 DCF was too fragile for regular long term long distance use or anything more than otherwise mundane weather conditions in itself for me. I had been using tarps for many yrs in diverse conditions when I grabbed one for a while for 3 day or fairer weather longer romps anticipating going SUL for non daily emergency use when intending to mostly cowboy. At 6'4" I got wet in driving rain. I did NOT have the newer ZP model with doors. Being my height I prefer not having to crawl on my belly to get under a super low pitched tarp. Setting up a higher apex I lost the desired floor space and coverage. I'm not sure if the dimensions have changed compared to the older doorless model I had. I used it with a polycro flat tarp or experimented a bit with DIY Duck brand .7 mil and, then acceptably durable and wt, 1.5 mil Duck Max bathtubs. I did not opt for the PT when the heaviest biting insect pressure was anticipated. I went through similar developments and resulting consequences in using just the old ZP Hexamid tarp during a $$$ platinum UL/SUL gear junkie phase.

To save wt and money but add in some fiddle factors to get your set up dialed in you could make your own DIY bathtub OR when rain does hit prop up the flat ground sheet with a stick or trekking pole on the high side so water runs under it. Separate the bug net from the floor so you're not adding nanoseeum and other integrated net/floor wt into the set up when netting is not required. If bugs like skeeters do unexpectedly present themselves an issue pitch the PT low and close the doors which is most often enough in moderate biting insect usage in the MLD Solomid XL which is somewhat similar in design... no need for netting or a separate bug bivy inset this way. Flat ground cloth or DIY polycro or DCF bathtub rounds it out. Personally, I don't own a bug bivy and have been UL happiest separating the netting from the floor under a tarp to save wt and $ and possibly other hassles. When requiring netting I use the S2S 1p netting hung from the apex/asymetrical apex/side head wall using a ZP stcik on DCF loop patch that is still going strong 6 yrs later.

The other option I used on cooler/cold somewhat weather mundane shoulder season UL /SUL trips was paring the PT with a MLD WR Superlight bivy amending both the shelter and sleep systems integrating. This enabled protective splash attempting to gram weenie the tarp coverage size but reducing the quilt or bag wt...and quilt drafts. Doing this also eliminated the wt of required groundsheet or bathtub or netting as the MLD Superlight or the WR TiGoat Ptarmagin I use have bug netting across the faces and WP bottoms.
    Last edited by Dogwood; 07-07-2019 at 12:27.

Images

It's amazing how the times have changed the materials and the availability of choices for ultralight shelter setups. When I did my thru attempt on the AT in 1999 I used a 10 X 10 sil nylon tarp which weighed a pound, not including stakes and guylines, with no bug deterrent. Fast forward to the present - my Zpacks 8.5 x 10 flat tarp/Borah Gear cuben bug bivy combo comes in at about 14 oz. including all of the guys lines and ten stakes of varying design. Works like a charm.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

++ New Posts ++