Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Default Dangerous Hiker @ Peter Mountain Shelter

    In light of the recent event in southern Virginia this year, I thought this was pertinent info...


    https://www.reddit.com/r/Appalachian...in_area_named/


    Be safe everyone

  2. #2

    Default

    JC. Is it surprising to anyone?

    I frequently tell people that hiking the AT is the perfect activity for those who are <truly> homeless or mentally ill. You got Trail Magic, hiker feeds, hiker boxes, cheap hostels... all these people wanting to help you out just cuz you’re a “hiker”. Yet, the same people would shun you if they met you on the sidewalk in the city.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    31,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    JC. Is it surprising to anyone?

    I frequently tell people that hiking the AT is the perfect activity for those who are <truly> homeless or mentally ill. You got Trail Magic, hiker feeds, hiker boxes, cheap hostels... all these people wanting to help you out just cuz you’re a “hiker”. Yet, the same people would shun you if they met you on the sidewalk in the city.
    yup......

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    yup......
    and I ain’t that smart. If I’ve figured it out, surely a ton of other people have figured it out too.

  5. #5
    Registered User JPritch's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-03-2017
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    487

    Default

    I don't know that you've got it all figured out, but your bias against trail magic is clear.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I don't know that you've got it all figured out, but your bias against trail magic is clear.
    ..........
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 07-09-2019 at 05:32.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    31,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I don't know that you've got it all figured out, but your bias against trail magic is clear.
    i have a bias against feeds. not real trail magic which is rare

  8. #8

    Default

    ..........
    <irrelevant drivel>
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 07-09-2019 at 05:31.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    JC. Is it surprising to anyone?

    I frequently tell people that hiking the AT is the perfect activity for those who are <truly> homeless or mentally ill. You got Trail Magic, hiker feeds, hiker boxes, cheap hostels... all these people wanting to help you out just cuz youíre a ďhikerĒ. Yet, the same people would shun you if they met you on the sidewalk in the city.
    Yep. Don't forget shelters WITH privies too.

  10. #10

    Default

    It wasn’t stated well but my point is that I think we should expect more of these incidents and be prepared. Honestly, if you are homeless, living out of a pack, are scraggly and unkempt...what better place to fit in than the AT? With as much attention as the AT has had the past few years, it’s going to attract all types of people. Plus you’ve got all these perks! (Not knocking the feeds, trail angels, etc, just stating facts). We need to be very careful and not trust someone just because they are a hiker. Hikers get way too much status.

  11. #11

    Default

    ....maybe someone can jog my memory but I recall a story a few years ago where the police deliberately pointed someone homeless to the AT, saying, ďYou want to walk around with a backpack, thereís a trail.Ē

    canít remember who the hiker was.

    The AT isnít exclusive, the mentally ill and truly homeless have as much right to be there as anyone, but there are also going to be problems and we need to be careful. [/QUOTE]

  12. #12
    4eyedbuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-02-2007
    Location
    DFW, TX / Northern NH
    Age
    62
    Posts
    7,712
    Images
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    ...The AT isnít exclusive, the mentally ill and truly homeless have as much right to be there as anyone, but there are also going to be problems and we need to be careful.
    Unless/until they become a public nuisance. Rights are not absolute.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    It wasnít stated well but my point is that I think we should expect more of these incidents and be prepared. Honestly, if you are homeless, living out of a pack, are scraggly and unkempt...what better place to fit in than the AT? With as much attention as the AT has had the past few years, itís going to attract all types of people. Plus youíve got all these perks! (Not knocking the feeds, trail angels, etc, just stating facts). We need to be very careful and not trust someone just because they are a hiker. Hikers get way too much status.
    Homeless people don't fit in on the trail. They are easy to spot. To a hiker, hostel owner, etc., they don't look at all like hikers. Look for someone with unclear plans, poor hygiene, not doing much hiking, carrying gear for a bushcraft experience, asking for handouts, bad luck story, spending too much time at trailheads, etc.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-04-2017
    Location
    Central CT
    Age
    33
    Posts
    182

    Default

    I could see homeless people trying to hang out at select places where like mentioned above it's going to be obvious after not much time.

    I do not see many homeless people hiking the trail for trail magic and free stuff... that's a whole lot of extra work and calories and the pay off wouldn't be worth it with the amount of free stuff. I'm sure people try it but I doubt it lasts very long before they ask themselves what they were thinking.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th

    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-18-2013
    Location
    Princeton, MA
    Age
    53
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Yeah, that poor hygiene of the homeless people compared to those sparkly clean hikers...

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    162

    Default

    I think if I woke up to somebody pissing on me his nads would be back up in his intestines

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •