WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default NY/CT Section Hike

Planning on starting at the border and shuttling north to hike back to car. 35ish total miles. Anyone know if it's ok to leave a car for two nights at the Hoyt Road parking lot?

Also looking for shuttle recommendations for a weekend lift. Would need to go from Hoyt Road to West Cornwall Road.

Thanks

We had a small group a number of years ago and the vehicle was left there from Fri PM to Mon PM with no issue (hiking southward into NY from the border).

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    We had a small group a number of years ago and the vehicle was left there from Fri PM to Mon PM with no issue (hiking southward into NY from the border).
    Thanks. I looked at Hoyt Road on Google maps and I can't make out a parking lot anywhere near the border of NY/CT. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    Thanks. I looked at Hoyt Road on Google maps and I can't make out a parking lot anywhere near the border of NY/CT. What am I missing?
    I don't think there's a parking lot on Hoyt Road, just a turnout to park a car or two. It's a secondary road that doesn't see a lot of traffic, so you should be fine just parking beside the road.
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

Unless it was closed over the last year or so, there is a parking lot on Hoyt Road, just west of where the AT comes out onto Rt 55. As I recall there is room for several cars but used to be difficult to see just driving by.

There is room for two cars there.

Sorry, just saw this - it was a small spot (I'd say the two cars is not far off, might have been 3 depending on what vehicles) and there is also a larger lot right off 55 nearby (that may be what Traveler was thinking of?).

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Sorry, just saw this - it was a small spot (I'd say the two cars is not far off, might have been 3 depending on what vehicles) and there is also a larger lot right off 55 nearby (that may be what Traveler was thinking of?).
    It was! If memory serves its not easily seen from the road due to vegetation. I recall the small lot as well but didn't park there.

++ New Posts ++