WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Toiletry kit, repair kit.

These will have been discussed before so could someone please point me in the direction of a thread. I have tried to search for it without success.
    Also a repair kit list would be useful. Mine seems to grow with duct tape, plastic zip ties, seam seal, small super glue tube, puncture outfit for airbed, McNett tape, safety pins, length of cord.

I'm going to bump this as no one replied.

I would say what you carry depends on where you are hiking and how close you would be able to get any supplies you might need. Also, days of hiking planned. Since this is posted under the AT forums section I will say that what I carry for both first aid and repair is just enough to make me comfortable enough to get to a road or town. I usually plan for 2 days needs in most sections of the AT. I haven't recently hiked anything more remote than that. And I haven't even looked inside my backpack this year but from memory I will tell you what I carry. I think I have posted my list on another thread so if it conflicts, that one may be more accurate depending on how long ago I posted.

Allergy meds (usually a weeks worth)
    a couple of regular bandaids. maybe 4.
    3' of gorilla tape around a cut up credit card or similar
    3' of porous tape also around a credit card
    2 squares of mole skin/foam
    tiny pocket knife (also opens my meals)
    Ibuprofen (not a huge fan but will take it when necessary) - start of hike I might take 8 per day, later on, fewer, so I pack probably 16 to start with, depends on my conditioning, and then adjust as I go.
    anti diarheal meds (2 days as I will likely be looking for a way off trail if I can't get control quickly enough)
    small nail clipper if hiking a long time without support as I will always want to keep nails short
    a couple of "butterfly stitches" or steri-strips
    small tweezers
    an extra cover for my smart water bottle with holes drilled in it. use for irrigating wounds/contaminated eyes

I may start adding some KT tape as I have a tibia that likes to dislocate but I will more likely just tape up weekly in 2022I also wear a RoadID band with my particulars - for me it's 2 contact names and numbers with relationship, NKA (no known allergies), No Med Hx (no medical conditions) and blood type.

Hope this helps
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Small knife, zip ties, duct tape, safety pins.

Toiletry and repair kit ? Tp, wipes,purell and repair um diarrhea meds,tucks,dunk in a stream and some tape.

Repair and hygiene kits are very personal and no two are the same, depends on what you need to keep you out hiking when experiencing your toughest situations. Everyones level of comfort is different and there’s no wrong answer. Carry what you want and reevaluate after each trip.

Small Tube of Neosporin for scrapes, cuts, bites and blisters; hasn’t been mentioned. I also carried/y a small tube of Aguaphor for feet and occasional crotch problems. In my opinion, Imodium was the most important item in a first aid kit!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Agree with Penney pincher that it's easy to go overboard. I call mine a BUMMER bag (Back Up, Medical, Maintainance, Emergency, Repair), and it's a bummer if you have to open it. Air pad patch kit makes the cut because a puncture leaves you without a key bit of gear for which there is no backup. Duct tape doesn't. Tenacious tape is better for gear and leukotape better for skin. Needle and thread are multipurpose. Tick twister, nail clippers, SAK Ambassador absolutely necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Agree with Penney pincher that it's easy to go overboard. I call mine a BUMMER bag (Back Up, Medical, Maintainance, Emergency, Repair), and it's a bummer if you have to open it. Air pad patch kit makes the cut because a puncture leaves you without a key bit of gear for which there is no backup. Duct tape doesn't. Tenacious tape is better for gear and leukotape better for skin. Needle and thread are multipurpose. Tick twister, nail clippers, SAK Ambassador absolutely necessary.
    I actually just came here to add in my patch kit for my air mattress. LOL
    I like porous medical tape for skin. Allows it to breathe. It's not paper, more plastic like. But Gorilla tape is essential if you blow out your footwear. Can also be used for backpack repair (straps especially or temp repair on stays).
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

++ New Posts ++