WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Footwear for September

I’m an east coaster who’s accustomed to hiking in non-waterproof trail runners. I’m planning a trip out to Colorado (Maroon Bells, Aspen area) this September and curious about footwear recommendations. As of now we will be going over several of the 12,000 ft passes. Not planning any off trail hikes or scrambled though.

Question 1: waterproof or not?
    Question 2: boots or shoes?
    Question 3: yaktrax or micro spikes recommended?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opinions are like A holes...everybody has one...so here’s mine....
    Non WP trail runners and definitely not traction needed...

If you find some footwear that Really is waterproof,please let me know. Hipwaders don't count...

A zillion YouTube videos of folks crossing Colorado on the CDT in trail runners should be proof enough.
    Wayne

Take into account foot shapes and weight of the hikers and their gear and the trail topology.

Many people stop their hike with plantar fascia yet do not connect the dots to the sole type and cushioning of their footwear...yet they blindly try to hike in what the current trend is.

Let me go

Images

Basically, wear whatever you're used to (trail runners). Nothing remarkably different from the east with respect to footwear on the 4-pass loop. Easier terrain footwear-wise than hiking, say, on a lot of the AT.

There are some spots where there is some talus and scree where a decent, solid sole is nice though. Not too much to warrant boots or anything silly like that. There are a couple of feet-wet creek crossings, maybe only one in September. "waterproof" boots/shoes would not help though. Too deep. If you want dry feet, just take shoes off, cross, put 'em back on. The crossing I refer to is in Fravert basin, about half way around the loop. It has a nice sandy bottom, no footwear required to cross.

"Talus and scree" are nicely define in Pmags article here:

https://pmags.com/talus-vs-scree-what-is-the-difference

And agree, no extra traction, though believe it or not, there might be some old leftover snow on the northeast side of Trailrider pass, even in early September. Epic snow coverage in those parts this year. I'll be hiking it soon, and I'll report in on conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Basically, wear whatever you're used to (trail runners). Nothing remarkably different from the east with respect to footwear on the 4-pass loop. Easier terrain footwear-wise than hiking, say, on a lot of the AT.

There are some spots where there is some talus and scree where a decent, solid sole is nice though. Not too much to warrant boots or anything silly like that. There are a couple of feet-wet creek crossings, maybe only one in September. "waterproof" boots/shoes would not help though. Too deep. If you want dry feet, just take shoes off, cross, put 'em back on. The crossing I refer to is in Fravert basin, about half way around the loop. It has a nice sandy bottom, no footwear required to cross.

"Talus and scree" are nicely define in Pmags article here:

https://pmags.com/talus-vs-scree-what-is-the-difference

And agree, no extra traction, though believe it or not, there might be some old leftover snow on the northeast side of Trailrider pass, even in early September. Epic snow coverage in those parts this year. I'll be hiking it soon, and I'll report in on conditions.
    On talus and scree, I find the ease of foot placement using trail runners outweighs any extra support from boots. As always, YMMV.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    On talus and scree, I find the ease of foot placement using trail runners outweighs any extra support from boots. As always, YMMV.
    Agree. I only find "boots" useful when doing endless miles of Talus/Scree, and by "boots" I mean relatively light weight/low cut "boots". More like extra-stiff trail runners, Keen Targhees, in particular. And sure, we all have different feet, to be sure.

++ New Posts ++