WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Forgive if I'm wrong (again) but I didn't realize this was just a AT related website . And yes I sometimes get in trouble for my strong feelings or words/ strong personality. If these folks in the tent were innocent then I'm elated they were victorious however they had to.

I don't think your thread is out of line because it is related to campsites/tents etc and issues like crime that also affect the AT.Lots of different threads in this forum that are not strictly about the AT.

I see no issue with the post. There have been plenty of non-AT specific threads on here, but still relevant to the backpacking community. I enjoy WhiteBlaze because discussion is encouraged here. Some of the AT Facebook groups are ridiculous with the amount of censorship they impose on their members.
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by orthofingers View Post
    I've heard that many or most times, even when there is a clear cut case of justifiable homicide, the innocent person is still put through hell legally, financially and emotionally in the aftermath of the incident.
    I'd rather still be alive and dealing with the consequences instead of the alternative.
    I hope the shooter and the woman aren't plagued by this incident for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelK7 View Post
    I'd rather still be alive and dealing with the consequences instead of the alternative.
    I hope the shooter and the woman aren't plagued by this incident for too long.
    I hope they aren't found to be complicit in a murder.

Images

The lawyer in me says, "This story is fishy." Picture the scene: It's late at night. A tent, likely a reasonably small compartment even if not a backpacking tent, and likely with a closed zipper to keep varmints (including human ones) outside has a man and his wife in it, each likely inside a zipped sleeping bag. With neither the man nor the woman hearing anything, the tent is unzipped sufficiently for a man to enter without being heard, despite the likely disorganized contents of the tent on the floor. For undisclosed reasons, the man (who is presumably mostly, if not entirely, clothed, or else that raises further noise issues) is able to identify which way the woman is facing and, for yet further reasons gets on top of her, despite her being in a sleeping bag with clothes on. Up to this point, the husband is still fully asleep, and the woman silent, and the intruder is so stealthy that there is no disruption. Suddenly, she screams! And then, with no inquiry, not even a "W T F" issued, the instantly-awakened and totally alert and focused husband has his trusty Peacemaker out of its probably semi-hidden location (yet oh-so-easily reached in the dark from the bowels of his pack!) out and - yes, it's darker in the tent than outside in the night - is able to nail the intruder with a coupla rounds of center mass and save the damsel.

Distinct odor of yesterday's salmon, folks.
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Sure. All the details aren't there. One observation from my point of view (background in firearms and training). An individual who is obviously sleeping with presumably a handgun (did they state what it was?) at the ready is one of two things. Someone trained with weapons and has training on threats. He sleeps with his weapon every night. Or two... a more common gun totin, prideful individual. Usually number two gets excited because hes going camping! And can now justify bringing the .357 to bed because they're in bear country! Otherwise the wife makes him keep it in the safe. When confronted by a threat. Freaks out. Pulls a gun. And Shoots.

Lots of details missing.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
    What about the person that isn't trained well but still isn't prideful?
    Why make up fanciful stories about how the wife deals with things at home?
    Just adding fodder.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    The lawyer in me says, "This story is fishy." Picture the scene: It's late at night. A tent, likely a reasonably small compartment even if not a backpacking tent, and likely with a closed zipper to keep varmints (including human ones) outside has a man and his wife in it, each likely inside a zipped sleeping bag. With neither the man nor the woman hearing anything, the tent is unzipped sufficiently for a man to enter without being heard, despite the likely disorganized contents of the tent on the floor. For undisclosed reasons, the man (who is presumably mostly, if not entirely, clothed, or else that raises further noise issues) is able to identify which way the woman is facing and, for yet further reasons gets on top of her, despite her being in a sleeping bag with clothes on. Up to this point, the husband is still fully asleep, and the woman silent, and the intruder is so stealthy that there is no disruption. Suddenly, she screams! And then, with no inquiry, not even a "W T F" issued, the instantly-awakened and totally alert and focused husband has his trusty Peacemaker out of its probably semi-hidden location (yet oh-so-easily reached in the dark from the bowels of his pack!) out and - yes, it's darker in the tent than outside in the night - is able to nail the intruder with a coupla rounds of center mass and save the damsel.

The Weasel!!!!!

Not sure what makes this "fishy" ? I sleep with my gun beside me in my tent every night on the trail and my gun beside me on my nightstand at home. If there's an intruder, the first thing I am doing is grabbing my gun. I'd never have my gun down inside my backpack in my tent. Why assume this person did that? I don't even sleep with my pack in my tent. Also, where was it stated the husband was "fully asleep"? I'm hyper-aware on the trail and hardly ever go into deep sleep, no matter how many miles I've hiked or how exhausted I am.

Sounds like a nice guy. Sounds like he got what he deserves!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    The Weasel!!!!!
    Who else, but? TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

It took a huge number of assumptions, unsupported by any facts, to reach your conclusion that something is fishy.

And the place is named “Deadman’s campground “. Wow

Maybe he did get the wrong tent he was looking for a kid.

SAD BUT TRUEE !!! Lets take care out there ladies and gents.............

Journal Entries
    Images

I wonder if the dead person would have taken the risk of entering a stranger’s tent if he lived in a state where more people had carry permits.

Google tells me that California has issued only about 92,000 active CCW permits. By way of comparison my relatively small state of Massachusetts has over 400,000 out there.

Of course LEOs also carry legally, greatly increasing the total number of people who can lawfully carry.

loved livin' in Vermont. constitutional carry state. no permit needed. very low gun violence

As the case in wv. Open carry no permits required.

Images

The lack of facts is precisely my point. We have a story with virtually no facts, but dozens of questions, that draws a conclusion, i.e. that the death was justified. Absent answers to the questions, there is no justification for the conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    It took a huge number of assumptions, unsupported by any facts, to reach your conclusion that something is fishy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++