WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Southern Maine 2 weeks around Labor Day

I did Northern Maine 6 years ago in Late August and had some annoying mosquitoes at about half the campsites. Temps were generally warm, but didn't see alot of elevation. Is it about the same in the South of Maine? Bringing a small bottle of 25% DEET and pretreating everything with permethrin. Clothing: no puffy, but long underwear, beanie, windshirt, rain jacket, and a buff.

What dates? It gets cold in the mountains. It sometimes snows in September. Are you sure you want to leave the puffy at home?

Last week of August and first week of September (straddling labor day). AM I sure? no, that's why I'm asking.

Bring the puffy. Bugs should mostly be gone then. But, bring some repellent, just in case. You will have a lot of elevation change from the Bigelows South. You won't have the big climbs like in the Whites, but the Mahoosucs are a bunch of steep, 1000 ft elevation changes, several times a day.

Southern Maine is a serious work out. It is without a doubt the most strenuous part of the AT. Bugs will be gone, or at most a minor annoyance. It will get chilly after dark, early morning. Low 40's are not uncommon and coming from AL, it will feel really cold.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Great time of the year to hike western Maine. Sure it may get a bit cool in the evenings but it could be shorts an T shirts weather. Most folks are in bed before it really cools down at night but can be a bit nippy in the AM.

Your timing is perfect, humidity and most of the bugs are gone. You are going to have a great trip. With a little luck, all you will feel is a bit of fall crispness creeping into the air, but bring the puffy, a 20 degree bag, and stick a hat and gloves in the bottom of the pack. It may well be overkill, but there is a good chance they will come in handy. Also, be sure to know your exit routes, just in case you hit some really cold and wet conditions.

The AT coming out of NH through the Mahoosucs, in my view, is some of the most difficult (and best) hiking of the trail. As others point out, the puffy is a good idea to have, the weight is negligible as opposed to shivering through an evening or two wishing you had it. Temperatures at night can get into the low 40's/mid 30's around labor day, add a wind component to that can make it miserable if not prepared. Add gloves to the list.

Insects typically will be less of an issue that time of year but much depends on how the season and weather are behaving at that time of year.
    The topography encourages cold temperatures to quickly settle in low points, especially valleys, so insects may ride warmer air to higher elevations at night so you may find a few swarms here and there so bug juice will be handy. On that issue, I never found diluted DEET (25% to 50%) did much for me so I use 100% DEET which absolutely works with most insects if not all that can be found at that time of year.

I live nearby and the only bugs in August are mosquites around dusk and deer and moose flies during the day in the sun. Repellent really doesn't work on Deer or Moose Flies. If they are really annoying there are double sided tack strips that can be attached to the top of a hat, the flies tend to land on the highest point and get caught. They are normally only an issue when not moving and go away in the evening.

Images

For the third time in 5 years, I plan on hiking New Hampshire into southern/western Maine this year in September, Glencliff to Monson (this time with wife to complete her northern AT). I agree, best time of year, and I also agree, a UL puffy (7 ounces) is a fine thing to have. I also agree, the toughest part of the AT but also, pretty much by far, the best part of the AT. Can't wait. The other two times I've done this area in early-mid September, I don't remember any bugs, but at 63 years old, I definitely have a serious case of CRS.

++ New Posts ++