Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-04-2002
    Location
    Oriental, NC
    Age
    72
    Posts
    6,690
    Images
    31

    Default Water - VA 603 NOBO - Hurricane Shelter and Trimpi Shelter

    Any info on what water supplies are likely to be in this stretch in late August? I'm doing it over Labor Day. Comments on the shelters also welcome.

    TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-04-2018
    Location
    Husk NC
    Age
    64
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Large stream at the start, good water at shelter and large stream when you approach Hwy 16. It has been extremely wet in this area. You should have no problems.

    ETA: You will be hiking along several ridges that might be dry, so fill up at the several streams that you cross.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-04-2002
    Location
    Oriental, NC
    Age
    72
    Posts
    6,690
    Images
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Large stream at the start, good water at shelter and large stream when you approach Hwy 16. It has been extremely wet in this area. You should have no problems.

    ETA: You will be hiking along several ridges that might be dry, so fill up at the several streams that you cross.
    Down, thanks. I always fill when I pass a stream/spring, just in case. But it's also nice to know I don't have to carry both drinking AND dinner water into Trimpi. So thanks again.

    TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-04-2002
    Location
    Oriental, NC
    Age
    72
    Posts
    6,690
    Images
    31

    Default

    You seem to be pretty savvy on this stretch, so I'll ask a couple of other questions of you, if you don't mind:

    1) Over Labor Day weekend (esp Sunday night) how crowded do you see Trimpi Shelter being? I am vastly out of shape, and I'll put my ETA there at something past 4pm.

    2) Is Trimpi a weekend party shelter? If so, I might hold up short of it and tent.

    3) Any idea of what the Sufi Hostel is like?

    Thanks,

    TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    31,111

    Default

    1.very unlikely to be crowded. 2. not a party spot. 3. mixed reports on Sufi

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-04-2018
    Location
    Husk NC
    Age
    64
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    You seem to be pretty savvy on this stretch, so I'll ask a couple of other questions of you, if you don't mind:

    1) Over Labor Day weekend (esp Sunday night) how crowded do you see Trimpi Shelter being? I am vastly out of shape, and I'll put my ETA there at something past 4pm.

    2) Is Trimpi a weekend party shelter? If so, I might hold up short of it and tent.

    3) Any idea of what the Sufi Hostel is like?

    Thanks,

    TW
    I live in the area. Only backpacked it once but have run various sections of your route multiple times. It is not a heavily traveled section primarily because it is rather bland compared to surrounding areas. Not a "destination" like Greyson Highlands, Mt Rogers, Damascus, Roan Mtn area, Max Patch, etc. Can't tell you about weekend activity because I avoid weekends and stick to weekdays....a benefit of being retired!!
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-04-2002
    Location
    Oriental, NC
    Age
    72
    Posts
    6,690
    Images
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    1.very unlikely to be crowded. 2. not a party spot. 3. mixed reports on Sufi
    It's been a while. Good to see you here.

    Tell me more about Sufi, with a private message if you prefer.

    TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

  8. #8
    Registered User LittleRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-10-2014
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    568
    Images
    8

    Default

    Both shelters have good water. Hurricane shelter is nice, built early 2000's I believe.

    Trimpi is an older stone shelter. It's pretty dark inside. Watch your head if you sleep in the top bunk.

    The trail from VA 603 to Partnership/Marion is about as easy as it gets in VA.
    It's all good in the woods.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-14-2017
    Location
    Decatur, GA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Hopping on the thread since there are such knowledgeable folks here.

    My son (20) and I are doing the section from Atkins to Damascus next week. Hiking southbound.
    Looking at Guthook last night it seems the shelters are spaced nicely for the hike...about 15 miles apart which is a good pace for us. For the most part we'll be hiking during the week.

    From your experience are there any shelters you would avoid? I have never carried bear spray with me on previous hikes (GA, NC, TN). Do you feel bear spray is necessary?

    Appreciate the feedback.

    Willie

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-04-2018
    Location
    Husk NC
    Age
    64
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WillieChoc View Post
    Hopping on the thread since there are such knowledgeable folks here.

    My son (20) and I are doing the section from Atkins to Damascus next week. Hiking southbound.
    Looking at Guthook last night it seems the shelters are spaced nicely for the hike...about 15 miles apart which is a good pace for us. For the most part we'll be hiking during the week.

    From your experience are there any shelters you would avoid? I have never carried bear spray with me on previous hikes (GA, NC, TN). Do you feel bear spray is necessary?

    Appreciate the feedback.

    Willie
    Lot of bear problems last year but haven't heard anything this year. There's an abundance of bears in the area. I would recommend bear spray.....9 oz of insurance is not that much for your son to carry.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

  11. #11

    Default

    I just finished reading my trail journals for the two trips I did in that area and on the section of the AT from the NRA on Hiway 16 south to Mt Rogers---and back again---for a total of 4 treks. Remember, this is a South trek and not a NOBO.

    I'll show some pics from Partnership Shelter SOUTH to Mt Rogers---

    TRIP 123 007-L.jpg
    There's this little creek on the AT just south of Partnership shelter.

    TRIP 123 032-L.jpg
    Here's a pic of Trimpi shelter.

    TRIP 123 034-L.jpg
    After you go south from Trimpi on the AT you reach this trailsign---and if you head left down the hill you'll reach this nice campsite---right off the AT. See next pic.

    TRIP 123 036-L.jpg
    Here's the CS mentioned.

    TRIP 123 038-L.jpg
    Here's the mud seep water source right in camp.

    TRIP 123 037-L.jpg
    If you leave camp on a faint trail you'll find the location of the old and destroyed Raccoon Branch AT shelter. This spot also has water if you don't want to filter at the mud seep.

    TRIP 123 058-L.jpg
    As you make your way south on the AT from the NRA you pass several little creeks before the big hump up to the Hurricane shelter.

  12. #12

    Default

    TRIP 123 067-L.jpg
    Of course Hurricane shelter has water and then if you go beyond (south) on the AT you reach the top of the ridge with plenty of flat spots---just have to haul your water.

    TRI 132 042-L.jpg
    Here's the same place above Hurricane shelter on another trip with a different tent. After you fall off this ridge and this mountain (south on the AT) you reach VA 603 and Fox Creek etc.

    TRI 132 378-L.jpg
    If you need to camp real close to Partnership shelter there's this nice little spot right below the trail and it has water.

    TRI 132 417-L.jpg
    Or if you're really desperate and need to camp right next to the shelter but can't handle the crowds there's this lake right below the shelter.

    TRI 132 014-L.jpg
    Oh and Btw---when you leave Partnership heading South on the AT and just before reaching the South Holston footbridge there's this CS---I call it Seven Mile Camp cuz it's about . . . uh . . .7 miles from the NRA.

    TRI 132 016-L.jpg
    Here's the water source for the above CS.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-14-2017
    Location
    Decatur, GA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Appreciate the info. i'll be picking up a can of spray.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-14-2017
    Location
    Decatur, GA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Tipi - Thanks for the photos and notes.
    Very helpful

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-07-2014
    Location
    till plains of Indiana
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Regarding the SW Virginia bears... http://appalachiantrail.org/home/exp...l-updates#BEAR

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •