Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    ILdsailor: Are you going to try again in January to get a permit? Just curious. If so, you do know about the "multiple device" scheme for increasing your odds, right?
    I did get a permit on October 29th or at least I received an approval letter for my requested date. My step-off date is April 9th from Campo. I'm familiar with the "multiple device" strategy; although I didn't use it. I inadvertently logged into the permit portal a day early and decided to just hang in there until the next day. I got 984 in the queue and when my spot in the queue came up after an hour, I chose my date. Just about everything was still open when I got in, so I was pretty lucky.

As for the "multiple device" strategy, some guys had quite a few spots in the queue to themselves, but no one had as many as the guy who had 52. He downloaded a program that rendered each browser session as a separate device. I saw that on Reddit. I'm not going to get into the ethics of the "multiple device" strategy. Maybe it's okay if all the device sessions are released immediately once it is determined that you have a desirable spot in the queue, but 52 simultaneous queue spots is a little over the top IMHO.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    I did get a permit on October 29th or at least I received an approval letter for my requested date. My step-off date is April 9th from Campo. I'm familiar with the "multiple device" strategy; although I didn't use it. I inadvertently logged into the permit portal a day early and decided to just hang in there until the next day. I got 984 in the queue and when my spot in the queue came up after an hour, I chose my date. Just about everything was still open when I got in, so I was pretty lucky.

As for the "multiple device" strategy, some guys had quite a few spots in the queue to themselves, but no one had as many as the guy who had 52. He downloaded a program that rendered each browser session as a separate device. I saw that on Reddit. I'm not going to get into the ethics of the "multiple device" strategy. Maybe it's okay if all the device sessions are released immediately once it is determined that you have a desirable spot in the queue, but 52 simultaneous queue spots is a little over the top IMHO.
    Aha! So you're set, fantastic. Good start time, early April. I'm March 11th, almost a month earlier BUT I already have 2 separate weeks scheduled in that fist 6 weeks off-trail along the way, meaning who knows, maybe we'll cross paths eventually.

Enjoy! I really liked that first 700 miles last year, looking forward to repeating them and of course this time, continuing on....

PS: I'm actually heading your way, to FL in early January to "warm up" on the FT for a couple weeks. Looking forward to seeing those parts! I've only been to FL on business (Cape C) and to the national parks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++