I'm thinking of doing the southern part of the PCT next year (2020). To that end I have a few questions with which I hope the community can help me.

1. Apparently there is no hands down best guide for the PCT like AWOL's AT Guide, or at least that is what research has told me. Does anyone have a recommendation on what I should have for a guide? I'm looking for one mostly for pre-planning since I would take Guthook with me on the trail.
  2. What maps would be the best?
  3. It looks like two permits are necessary. One is the California Fire Permit and the other is the PCT Long Distance Permit (over 500 miles hiking). For the southern section (700 miles to Kennedy Meadows) are there any other permits required that I may have missed in my research?
  4. And here's a big question. When is the best time to start, considering I'm not thru-hiking and do not intend to go through the Sierra Mountains? I guess I'm trying to avoid the coldest weather and the hottest weather on the trail. It looks like mid-April might be the best with a finish in mid-June. Any thoughts? I carry a 30 degree sleeping bag. Would a March start get me colder weather than my sleeping bag could handle?

Thanks for any input replies may offer.