WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Backup

Default Backup

What is the best lightweight backup for water treatment should the main filter malfunction ? Outside of boiling of course. I have micropur tabs that are from years ago that I need to replace but then thought there
    might be a better alternative??

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

Depends on your idea of lightweight- I use a Sawyer and carry a Steripen too. If I using spring water I only Sawyer it, for most other sources I also Steripen it. Obviously if the Sawyer failed I could use just the Steripen and worst case the water wont taste so good.

Images

We always carry a combo of a Sawyer mini, aqua mira and tablets, never all three, but usually at least 2. Usually, either Aqua Mira for primary, tablet backup. Sometimes Sawyer (for places with less clear water), with tablet backup. I don't think you can beat tablets for being lightest for a backup. We use chlorine dioxide tablets, might be that "micropur" brand, can't remember.

Don't know about "best", but Micropur is what I carry-in my FAK, so they're never accidentally left out.
    Having frozen a couple over the years, I've actually considered toting an unused Sawyer as a backup for winter(when chemical methods can take forever or flat out fail to work) in case I screw things up again.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    I've actually considered toting an unused Sawyer as a backup for winter(when chemical methods can take forever or flat out fail to work) in case I screw things up again.
    I believe the Sawyer products are not good to use in winter as freezing damages the membrane.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum View Post
    I believe the Sawyer products are not good to use in winter as freezing damages the membrane.
    I just put the filter in a ziplock, and keep it in the sleeping bag with me.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Journal Entries

Ssveral years ago I purified with Aquamira drops. But, for a while those became temporarily unavailable in stores so I instead purchased some Aqua Tabs, chlorine dioxide tablets. I now prefer to use Aqua Tabs.

Lacking a glass or plastic container, Aqua Tabs weight practically nothing. They become effective within a half hour, considerably less time than is reportedly the case for some other brands of chlorine dioxide tablets. (No, I don't have any commercial connection to Aqua Tabs, I just like using them.)

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    I just put the filter in a ziplock, and keep it in the sleeping bag with me.
    Same here, just gotta remember to do it. Polar vortexes with subzero low temps got me, leaving them out. Being in the South, I wasn't used to worrying about my filters in the daytime until we started getting those. Thought one would be ok, since it was in a cabin with a fire going. But my thermometer was also in the cabin. Right around freezing near the fire, but 10F where I left the filter sitting. Duh. The other I forgot in my pack. Didn't suffer any ill effects after using it, but still didn't trust the filter, since it was single digits when I brought it in the bag with me.
    Live and learn. No more forgetting after that one.
    The OR Ferrosi that I wear for hiking in temps like that, and the Montbell parka I use in camp, have interior drop pockets that make things really convenient. The filter in its Ziploc can be on me all the time, then go in the foot of my quilt at bedtime.

Iodine tablets or similar. You may need to purify something like a dropped water bottle or toothbrush, and these, along with a large ziploc bag, will the trick. As well as serve as a backup in most hiking temperatures.

++ New Posts ++