WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I read last week that z-packs is revamping their plexamid. Anyone know any details?

The breaking roof struts are the problem, or so i have read.
    I am really interested in this shelter.
    I really like my lunar solo and the plex is somewhat similar but 10-12 oz less wt

Quote Originally Posted by cr115 View Post
    The breaking roof struts are the problem, or so i have read.
    I am really interested in this shelter.
    I really like my lunar solo and the plex is somewhat similar but 10-12 oz less wt
    Don't buy one. The struts have been a major problem for many people.

My friend bought one and in two days a broken strut ripped up his canopy.

Zpacks sent him some repair tape.

Don't support ZPacks in their current state.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

I mis-read the title and thought that Z-pack was revamping (themselves)- and i was hopeful. There has been some postings about lax quality and was hoping they were making the changes needed. However it is disappointing that it is becoming more like the way Z-pack is rolling now

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I mis-read the title and thought that Z-pack was revamping (themselves)- and i was hopeful. There has been some postings about lax quality and was hoping they were making the changes needed. However it is disappointing that it is becoming more like the way Z-pack is rolling now
    That was kind of my thinking as well. I kind of thought with their declining concern for customer satisfaction they were content with letting the company wither and die.

Images

I think y'all are being a bit harsh on zpacks. I've got four pieces of their big gear, and a bunch of small stuff. It's all excellent quality, top notch I'd say. As good as it gets in terms of function per weight. My first tent (solo+) of theirs has close to 150 or so nights, still works great, zero tears, zero flaws. Same with second tent (duplex), but not as old (70-80 nights or so?). Two backpacks, going strong, one with 2000+ miles, the other about 500 (my wife's new one, both ArcHauls) no flaws.

I know y'all think well ok, that was then, this is now. But we'll see. My wife's Arc Haul is less than a year old, seems perfect.

Images

I have the Plexamid, and while I hate the struts, it is still a high quality tent ... just as nice as my old Duplex. I just take the struts out and don't use them. The peak is a bit sloppy aesthetically but doesn't change the waterproofness or functionality of the tent.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I have been backpacking since 2000. The Zpacks Arc Haul is the single best piece of gear I have ever owned. I have also owned three of their tents and all have performed flawlessly. The Altaplex is/was a great design, and I scratched my head when they replaced it with the Plexamid.

I'm with Rob on this.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I think y'all are being a bit harsh on zpacks. I've got four pieces of their big gear, and a bunch of small stuff. It's all excellent quality, top notch I'd say. As good as it gets in terms of function per weight. My first tent (solo+) of theirs has close to 150 or so nights, still works great, zero tears, zero flaws. Same with second tent (duplex), but not as old (70-80 nights or so?). Two backpacks, going strong, one with 2000+ miles, the other about 500 (my wife's new one, both ArcHauls) no flaws.

I know y'all think well ok, that was then, this is now. But we'll see. My wife's Arc Haul is less than a year old, seems perfect.
    I love my Arc Haul (bought in 2016 I think) and it’s by far my favorite pack. Also love my Duplex (2018 purchase) that only has about a dozen or so trail nights but has been great as well. Zero issues from me... but it does seem that their recent quality may have gone down a bit... I dunno - more people buying it and it’s more popular, and even the best manufacturer will have occasional defects. But what seems alarming is their callous customer service - “put some of this tape on it and quit complaining” type of attitude.

I don’t think that any of us have firm statistical data that shows whether or not their quality has slipped. However, I think that we can all agree that they’ve got an increasingly bad customer service reputation. Maybe it’s deserved and maybe it’s not. But the ball is in their court to fix - they’ve got a definite perception problem and it’s up to them to fix it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have an old hexamid twin, a sleeping bag and several smaller items and have been pleased with them all. Customer service has always been responsive and they’ve gone above and beyond for me a few times (exchanging a bag for a lower rating after I used it several nights on a trip, fixing a tent issue for free years after I bought it). When I ordered a couple of backpacks that didn’t work for me they took them back. Joe himself has responded to my questions on gear several times.

The only negative thing I can say is that they no longer do custom gear and they’ve eliminated the hexamid line of tents which I prefer to the newer models but every business has a right to set their strategy and what they offer. They’ve decided to move more toward the mainstream and away from custom. As this is an obviously bigger opportunity I can’t blame them.

I cant say anything bad about my own stuff from them but you can't defend or deny the repair tape thing being bad customer service. I remember the owner coming on this board several times when people make threads complaining, I'm sure we'll be hearing from him anytime now to clear things up....
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

I have a Duplex, a Pocket Tarp, a DCF Rain Kilt and a lot small accessories and have been very happy with their quality so far.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Don't buy one. The struts have been a major problem for many people.

My friend bought one and in two days a broken strut ripped up his canopy.

Zpacks sent him some repair tape.

Don't support ZPacks in their current state.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
    I can't believe this company is still in business with the "customer service" they provide, especially at the price point they demand... absolute lunacy. They're so many other cottage companies to support that actually care about the community and are willing to stand behind a quality product.
    MEGA '19

the only way to get good customer service from z-packs is to have a large enough web presence to be an "influncer" for everybody else you get "The Tape"

++ New Posts ++