WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ? to Katahdin in 60 days

If I had 60 days next Summer and wanted to finish at Katahdin, where should I start?

There is no way we can answer that knowing nothing about you. If you're an endurance athlete, start at Springer. If you're a large individual, start in NH. If you fall somewhere in between, then definitely start somewhere in between.

Images

Take your "normal" miles per day average on average terrain. Take 75% of that MPD number, because the terrain in NH and Maine is much rougher, and hence slower in MPD, then multiply by about 58 (allowing two zeros. That should get you to a decent starting mileage point, give or take. Err on the side of being a bit conservative.... it really is tough terrain up there. Even with all the talk about it, I was STILL surprised at how slow we were in many of those most northern sections.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I think colorado_rob's math makes sense, and I'd suggest being more than conservative. If you get to bi K a week ahead of time, you'll have a week to do some more.

Personally, I'd start near the NY/CT line.

Miles/day* days to hike= Miles from Katahdin.

14mpd * 41days = 574 ( I applied a weekly zero)

Miles 578.5 = Bennington VT

You can tell people how hard NH and Maine are until your blue in the face, but until they experience it themselves, it can not be appreciated.

60 days? Average shape with experience? I'd say MA/VT line would do it. Vermont will get you in shape for NH and NH will get you in shape for ME.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

It all really depends upon your physical condition. colorado_rob's 75% of normal pace might even be optimistic. It depends upon what one considers normal terrain. I'd say that 75% holds true if you're comparing it to the southern AT, but not flatter parts of the trail or easy ridge walking. The terrain is not just steeper and higher, the footpath itself is also more rugged.

578 miles in 60 days (not counting any travel days) almost sounds easy - on the surface. Only 9.5 miles per day. But you will loose hiking time to zero/nero days, resupply, and possibly even bad weather. Resupply in New England takes time. You'll be hitching to stores in towns every 4 to 5 days on average. Figure losing 2 to 4 hours every time. So if you average the equivalent of a zero/nero once per week that leaves 52 days. Bennington to Katahdin is 578 miles / 52 = 11 miles per day. But you will be doing this on the toughest terrain the AT has to offer - where thru-hikers, who are in top hiking shape from months of ups and downs on smaller mountains, only average about 13 mpd. Not saying it isn't doable, but it's a difficult hike.

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/con...ion-by-Section

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Miles/day* days to hike= Miles from Katahdin.

14mpd * 41days = 574 ( I applied a weekly zero)

Miles 578.5 = Bennington VT
    SHould be 51 days Therefore 714 miles. => Mile 1471

Mile 1467 (NOBO) = Kent CT
    Last edited by flemdawg1; 07-25-2019 at 23:43.

You'll hike much farther your second month than your first, I would bank on 300 miles for your first month, 400 for the second. That's on normal terrain, however you'll be doing the hardest miles of the entire trail. So I would perhaps knock it back to 600 miles total, which puts you starting at Cheshire, MA or thereabouts, or just start in North Adams at the start of the Long Trail.

You just described my section hike! Except I went sobo, and would do it that way again for sure. I started the beginning of Aug. Yup, Katahdin on day 1 was tough, but you can slack pack for free, so there's that, and if you take your time you'll be fine. (It took me 12 hours) I am 'slow' by most standards, averaged about 9 mi/day and ended in VT in Oct. I zeroed/neroed about once a week. Awesome awesome awesome trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I had 60 days next Summer and wanted to finish at Katahdin, where should I start?
    You won't know. People have vastly different hiking abilities out there. It's the hardest part of the entire trail. Consider going south instead and just ending where you end. If you do that you will be into the 100 Mile Wilderness on day 3. Most people don't make it through. They underestimate the difficulty. Defintiely do some shakedown hikes. Train beforehand and train harder than you think is necessary. If going from couch to trail then estimate 10 days for the 100 mile wilderness. I saw plenty of people out there taking 10 days for it. Northbound Thru hikers get it done in 5.

I'll also add that NH and ME mess with your head. You may be used to looking at mileage and total elevation gain to guesstimate how hard a section is and how far you can hike in a day. That won't work in Maine. The roots, rocks, and mud use muscles and energy that cannot be anticipated. If you figure 20 miles and 7,000 feet of incline are entirely doable, then you may be in Maine and find that halfway into a day like that you look at the trail and go, "you have got to be kidding me. When does *this* end?" It doesn't end. It just teases you and then hits you again.

But it's all entirely doable and a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    SHould be 51 days Therefore 714 miles. => Mile 1471

Mile 1467 (NOBO) = Kent CT
    This guy made it from Kent in 52 days. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

Katadhin. Hike south 30 days and turn around.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++