WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Default 2019 Aldha Gathering

Never been to the Gathering. Planning to this year. Does the camping area have trees (or substitute) for hammocks? Is camping popular? Was at Trail Days for the first time this year and shocked how many campers there were. Similar at the Gathering?

Journal Entries

This year's ALDHA gathering is at Williams College, MA. I attended the last conference, which was held there about 5 years ago, and the tent sites were in a field owned by an ALDHA member, I think. Anyway, it was a field which was adjacent to a wooded area. As far as this year's conference, I plead ignorance regarding the camp sites. So, my suggestion is to contact the comittee and ask. Good luck, and I hope to see you there.

Quote Originally Posted by l0ngterm View Post
    Never been to the Gathering. Planning to this year. Does the camping area have trees (or substitute) for hammocks? Is camping popular? Was at Trail Days for the first time this year and shocked how many campers there were. Similar at the Gathering?
    I'm a volunteer for the Gathering and should be able to get that info. I never camped at the event so I can't speak from personal experience.

Cosmo may well chime in since he lives near there. I have camped at the Gathering in Williamstown. It is a field with a great view of Greylock adjoining woods. At the last one several people did camp in the woods. The owner made the comment that the bears would get them, but as far as I know they did not get eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by l0ngterm View Post
    I am the 2019 ALDHA Gathering Program Coordinator. There is plenty of room for camping. There are frequently 400+ people at a Gathering and the majority of them camp. The site is graciously open to our use by a longtime hiker and ALDHA member and his neighbor. We provide port-a-potties and there is a campfire site. Folks have hammocked there in the past, but the number of locations may be limited. I have never heard of anyone not being able to hang. For more information go to: https://aldha.org/gathering.
    You are never too old.

Images

Thanks all. I'm planning to attend so see ya'll there if you do. I'll hope to hang but tarp it if not. Can't wait. Retiring in 6 months, plan to thru hike starting in March NOBO. Been hiking on the AT my whole life. spending more time with the AT community in retirement is very appealing.

Hike On!,

l0ngterm

++ New Posts ++