WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Camping In the Whites

If I start on the AT going north near I93, where can one legally put up a tent? I am looking at doing a 10-13 mile out and back.

Thx

Images

There are varying restrictions depending on where you are referring to. If heading north from I93 It gets pretty regulated. Here is an official document that pertains: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5363715.pdf

As you can see, there a lot of confusing rules and restrictions. If you can be more specific about start and hopeful finish, we can be more specific too.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hillwalker View Post
    There are varying restrictions depending on where you are referring to. If heading north from I93 It gets pretty regulated. Here is an official document that pertains: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5363715.pdf

As you can see, there a lot of confusing rules and restrictions. If you can be more specific about start and hopeful finish, we can be more specific too.
    Start at I93, walk north hopefully 10-13 miles and look to set up a tent, go to bed, wake up and turn around the next day and walk south back to car.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    Start at I93, walk north hopefully 10-13 miles and look to set up a tent, go to bed, wake up and turn around the next day and walk south back to car.

Lots of spots north of 93

Garfield Shelter 10 miles, Guyot Shelter 15.7

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Garfield Shelter 10 miles, Guyot Shelter 15.7
    Thanks

Is there room for tents to be put on the ground or do all tents need to go on a platform? What if you get to the shelter and there is no space left? Can u stealth without getting grief from authorities? Is it even possible to stealth in that terrain?

The shelter sites have caretakers and they manage the entire sites which includes the shelter and the associated tent platforms. You pay no matter what as besides managing the campers the caretaker also has to manage the outhouse which means shoveling out and composting the waste. If you do not want to pay then you need to camp 1/4 of mile away from the shelter if you can find a spot.

That being said unless you are in great shape you are probably not getting near Garfield shelter in one day from the AT parking lot on I 93. Thruhikers do it but weekend warriors at your stated age generally do not. Its steep ascent and the sag between North Lafayette and Garfield is rugged. There is no real viable camping from the top of Haystack all the way to the top of Garfield except at Garfield Pond an abandoned shelter site not that far away from Garfield Shelter. The legal camp spots south of Haystack are barely legal and on occasion closed for revegetation so that pushes you back to Liberty Springs unless you head over to Flume and find a legal spot along the way. The terrain and vegetation along the ridge line is the limiting factor. Its basically a trench cut through dense spruce/fir growing up between boulders. Yes you may be hassled as this is very popular stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The shelter sites have caretakers and they manage the entire sites which includes the shelter and the associated tent platforms. You pay no matter what as besides managing the campers the caretaker also has to manage the outhouse which means shoveling out and composting the waste. If you do not want to pay then you need to camp 1/4 of mile away from the shelter if you can find a spot.

That being said unless you are in great shape you are probably not getting near Garfield shelter in one day from the AT parking lot on I 93. Thruhikers do it but weekend warriors at your stated age generally do not. Its steep ascent and the sag between North Lafayette and Garfield is rugged. There is no real viable camping from the top of Haystack all the way to the top of Garfield except at Garfield Pond an abandoned shelter site not that far away from Garfield Shelter. The legal camp spots south of Haystack are barely legal and on occasion closed for revegetation so that pushes you back to Liberty Springs unless you head over to Flume and find a legal spot along the way. The terrain and vegetation along the ridge line is the limiting factor. Its basically a trench cut through dense spruce/fir growing up between boulders. Yes you may be hassled as this is very popular stretch.
    Thx. I did the presi traverse in 11.5 hours a few years back but am fatter, older and slower now

For all practical purposes, you are restricted to camping only at designated sites, which means an AMC run site. To do otherwise is either illegal or not practical. To simply hike in 10-13 and expect to find a place to tent is not possible in this area. There are places where you could conceivably do that, but you'd have to do some serious research to find out where.

I would suggest aiming for the Liberty Springs Tent site. Also note you can't just start from I93. Parking is restricted in this area as it's a highly congested and high traffic area with lots of regulations.

An option would be to get a camping spot at the Lafayette state campground the day you drive up, if you can get in. Then hike to Liberty springs from there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++