WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default tent that uses non-collapsable trekking poles

I am looking for any type of shelter that uses a trekking pole for setup, but the setup cant be dependent on the pole height. Any ideas? When I got into longer distance hiking, I wasnt sure if I wanted to use trekking poles, so I used my 30 year old ski poles. I got modern trekking poles for christmas and they broke within the first 40 miles. I just went back to my ski poles, which work wonderful and can take major abuse, but arent collapsable. I am looking for a tent I can use with those poles, even if I have to rig some sort of hooks on the poles to tie the tent to.
    Shoestring
    http://www.trailjournals.com/joefryfry
    Finishing the AT sometime in 2037.

Many people have logged thousands of miles with quality adjustable poles.

You should try a set of black diamonds or lekis.

That would be a better solution than deciding on a buying a tent to work only with your current poles.

Every year hundreds of Leki poles thru hike with zero issues.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Leonidas

I use fixed length trekking poles to setup my Zpacks Duplex. Without knowing the length of your poles, hard to say what will work.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

TarpTent and Lightheart Gear sell collapsing poles for their trekking pole tents.
    Wayne

They make trecking poles for heavier hikers, don’t know your size but it seems logical these would be stronger. What brand of pole were these? I would go with a better quality pole and tent when you decide to make the plunge. Seems picking the tent to fit old poles is going about it backwards.

Buy once, cry once.

Another question, how did they break? Were they over adjusted and sprang apart loosing little bits? Did they bend? Did they get stuck between rocks when you fell and torqued them, bending pole but preventing a bad fall? Did they rust or corrode and so not slip together again? Were they the sort that screw to tighten and they are slipping? Did the tip break? Some of this can be fixed. My Likis have lasted over 10 years moderate hiking. If you buy last years models on sale, not so expensive. I’m partial to the lever locks, use them for set up sometimes with my rainbow Tarptent when I need a freestanding option.

Happy hiking, whatever you decision is.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Many people have logged thousands of miles with quality adjustable poles.

You should try a set of black diamonds or lekis.

That would be a better solution than deciding on a buying a tent to work only with your current poles.

Every year hundreds of Leki poles thru hike with zero issues.

I had black diamonds that broke. I really like to put weight on my poles. I'm not opposed to new poles, but would rather try to use what I have since I like them better than collapsable poles.
    Shoestring

They tall, lol.
    Shoestring

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    They make trecking poles for heavier hikers, don’t know your size but it seems logical these would be stronger. What brand of pole were these? I would go with a better quality pole and tent when you decide to make the plunge. Seems picking the tent to fit old poles is going about it backwards.

Buy once, cry once.

Another question, how did they break? Were they over adjusted and sprang apart loosing little bits? Did they bend? Did they get stuck between rocks when you fell and torqued them, bending pole but preventing a bad fall? Did they rust or corrode and so not slip together again? Were they the sort that screw to tighten and they are slipping? Did the tip break? Some of this can be fixed. My Likis have lasted over 10 years moderate hiking. If you buy last years models on sale, not so expensive. I’m partial to the lever locks, use them for set up sometimes with my rainbow Tarptent when I need a freestanding option.

Happy hiking, whatever you decision is.
    The hiking poles came loose where the handle meets the pole and sometimes I grip the pole low and my skin was getting pinched. They were a christmas gift and getting the receipt to get them fixed was an issue. I'm not a pack rat so I threw them out. See above reply. I'm not opposed to new poles, but would like to stick with what I have. I would think I could make a simple anchor point with a hose clamp on my poles to rig a tent to, but it seems that most of the tents or bivys I see use a "cup" or eyelet at a certain height to host the pole. I have seem some minimalist tents that could work with a tarp with my current poles, but I would need a tarp. This thread was more looking for tents that dont need a tarp though.
    Shoestring

Quote Originally Posted by joefryfry View Post
    The hiking poles came loose where the handle meets the pole and sometimes I grip the pole low and my skin was getting pinched. They were a christmas gift and getting the receipt to get them fixed was an issue. I'm not a pack rat so I threw them out. See above reply. I'm not opposed to new poles, but would like to stick with what I have. I would think I could make a simple anchor point with a hose clamp on my poles to rig a tent to, but it seems that most of the tents or bivys I see use a "cup" or eyelet at a certain height to host the pole. I have seem some minimalist tents that could work with a tarp with my current poles, but I would need a tarp. This thread was more looking for tents that dont need a tarp though.
    You will be better off just using the poles you like. Buying the tent you like. Then get the right length carbon tent poles from Ruta Locura

Since the issue seems to be that the poles you like are too tall for most of the available tent models, couldn't you tie the guy lines through the eyelet and position your pole far enough from the tent that the line can run up and over before descending to its anchor point? I have used a five foot wooden walking staff to build tarp shelters this way. as long as the anchor points are good on the tent/tarp corners the upward tension on the guy line shouldn't be an issue. Tents are expensive. I would buy the tent I really wanted and then try to work out the set up using your polls. If you cant work it out then add the manufacturers poles to the set up as a last resort. At least you will end up with the tent you like.

I found that the height recommended for my TarpTent Notch is comfortable for me when hiking. You may not be too far off. If yours are taller, you can just dig a small hole to drop the height down a bit.

Find a tent, then figure out what height they recommend and compare to your poles. Adjust accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCF View Post
    Since the issue seems to be that the poles you like are too tall for most of the available tent models, couldn't you tie the guy lines through the eyelet and position your pole far enough from the tent that the line can run up and over before descending to its anchor point? I have used a five foot wooden walking staff to build tarp shelters this way. as long as the anchor points are good on the tent/tarp corners the upward tension on the guy line shouldn't be an issue. Tents are expensive. I would buy the tent I really wanted and then try to work out the set up using your polls. If you cant work it out then add the manufacturers poles to the set up as a last resort. At least you will end up with the tent you like.

If its eyelets, I can rig something I think. If its "cups", I can't. I appreciate all the feedback. I open to things, but was just looking for some ideas. I may try a bivy type with a tarp. I did set up on wooden tent platforms on my summer hike I just did, which would make that setup diffcult thought, the trekking pole setup. I am close to just going with the big agnes fly creek hv1 platinum. With fly it is 34 ounces. I'm trying to stay away from dyneema.
    Shoestring

I am looking for any type of shelter that uses a trekking pole for setup, but the setup cant be dependent on the pole height. Any ideas? When I got into longer distance hiking, I wasnt sure if I wanted to use trekking poles, so I used my 30 year old ski poles. I got modern trekking poles for christmas and they broke within the first 40 miles. I just went back to my ski poles, which work wonderful and can take major abuse, but arent collapsable. I am looking for a tent I can use with those poles, even if I have to rig some sort of hooks on the poles to tie the tent to.
    Tarptent Notch and include a set of their folding poles instead of using your poles. A great tent and problem solved. https://www.tarptent.com/product/vertical-support-pole/

we still don't know how long your fixed length poles are. We need the measurement in cm. Then we might be able to recommend a specific tent that might use your pole(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    TarpTent and Lightheart Gear sell collapsing poles for their trekking pole tents.
    Wayne
    The simple solution.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The simple solution.
    Wayne
    You quoted your previous post in the same thread, verbatum, why?

It makes no sense to take a collapsible pole for a tent and also carry trekking poles, this is the opposite of multiuse gear. if OP is bringing a pole whose sole use is to pitch the tent then OP is better off with a traditional "poled" tent.

If its eyelets, I can rig something I think. If its "cups", I can't. I appreciate all the feedback. I open to things, but was just looking for some ideas. I may try a bivy type with a tarp. I did set up on wooden tent platforms on my summer hike I just did, which would make that setup diffcult thought, the trekking pole setup. I am close to just going with the big agnes fly creek hv1 platinum. With fly it is 34 ounces. I'm trying to stay away from dyneema.
    This is the bivy/tarp set up I use sometimes with a 125cm pole. I use 108"x58" piece of xenon sil with 4 guy lines to the ground and one to my pole. You can use a poncho for added protection. Don't need to add anything to your pole, just wrap the line around the handle a few times.

If you come up with something that works for you, please post.
    20190219_124831.jpg20190219_140238.jpg
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    we still don't know how long your fixed length poles are. We need the measurement in cm. Then we might be able to recommend a specific tent that might use your pole(s)
    51.75 inches, 131.4 cm tip to top of handle. I'm tall. They are tall.
    Shoestring

Journal Entries

I had black diamonds that broke. I really like to put weight on my poles. I'm not opposed to new poles, but would rather try to use what I have since I like them better than collapsable poles.
    That's your problem right there. Outside of rock climbing Black Diamond makes gear that is not durable but more 'mission specific' . If you use it correctly all the time it will last forever, if not it will fail and it's your fault. Thus no gear to black diamond can be returned under warranty; this has been demonstrated in post here many times with this dishonoring their warranty. I would suggest Leki and as a second compradel who really make durable hiking equipment.

The SD Tensegrity is still avaibale if you look, and it allows variable sizes of poles using a grommet on a sliding track (plus I'd think you could even skip that grommet system completely if you wanted to).

https://sectionhiker.com/sierra-designs-tensegrity-1-ultralight-tent-review/

MLD makes several shaped tarps where you could just put your trekking pole on a diagonal and/or have poles on the outside where a bit of cord will allow any sized pole work.. The Solomid xl, Cricket Tarp, and Patrol tarp 2 are all shelters I have used that I think would work with long poles without too much trouble.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++