WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Vermont - Chateauguay & Stony Brook Rds

Does anyone know if the Chateauguay Rd and Stony Brook Rds are passable within a mile of the AT? According to Rohland's they are, and last year I travelled to the southern "end" of Chateauguay with no problem, but I was just told by a shuttler that both are impassable.

Anyone have first hand info?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I would think the shuttler is "first hand knowledge".

I doubt either of these roads are maintained. We had a harsh winter and it doesn't take much wash out these roads and make them impassable.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Normally I would agree with you, but as a family lives on Chateauguay Rd year round at the drop off point, I question that it isn't maintained. I drove it last year and it was a very improved gravel road (speed 40+ comfortable). Chateauguay is completely impassable beyond this house, but I was wondering if anyone knew personally if things had changed to that point. Shuttler admits he hasn't driven it.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Your previous experience makes it likely it will be fine up to that families door yard.

PS you should not be driving 40 MPH on a gravel road.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    PS you should not be driving 40 MPH on a gravel road.
    Did Rainman or Coach Lou tell you to say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Did Rainman or Coach Lou tell you to say that?
    \

No, it's just common sense. On a back woods road like that you have no idea if or when a critter might jump out of the woods in front of you. Or you might come to a road hazard and not have time to react. There could be a local with a big old pick up truck barreling down the road coming the other way. To say nothing of the dust and stones you kick up.

So no first hand knowledge of either road? Thanks anyway.

Images

Call Plans Too Much...super trail angel in Rutland. Will PM phone number.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Call Plans Too Much...super trail angel in Rutland. Will PM phone number.
    Thank you Jeff

++ New Posts ++