WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hammock Camping Sites

I am planning on doing a section hike with my son through the Georgia portion of the trail in early october when it hopefully won't be as hot. He loves to hammock camp so that is the route we are going to take. I know in GSMNP you are required to stay in shelters unless they are full and that Hammocks have the same rules as tents. Nothing I have read so far leads me to believe there are any restrictions in GA but I wanted to be sure we could setup camp anywhere with trees strong enough to support the weight. I've only slept overnight in hammock a couple of times and am excited to give it a try on a longer trip.

You are right you can set up anywhere you like in Georgia and have a grea hike.
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Hammock sites abound in Georgia. You shouldn't have a problem finding nice ones.

Images

Where there is no "park" jurisdiction, the AT has no rules about hammock use. You pretty much only see these in managed parks. Same for other backcountry trails.

My advice is to enjoy the ability to hike and setup camp late - because you're not dependent on finding a flat site, though there are many in Ga - and also sleeping in late, because its just so dang comfy and cozy in the a.m. - especially if you have a view. But that's just the way I roll, have a good time HYOH.

But always use straps on trees and take underinsulation. My suggestion is that you also go without fire. Ga is very busy with hikers and firewood is hard to come by, and is evident when you see what some folks have done to try to make firewood. Just go without, there is other camper TV available.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

For future reference, GSMNP has a ton of campsites without shelters that you can stay at and use hammocks. But if it has a shelter, you have to use it. Picture from a couple weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hammocks are far easier to deal with when making camp after dark. Comfy too and faster to break camp in the morning.
    It ain't for everyone but if the weather is nice I like to fall asleep with no tarp so I can watch the stars as I drift off.
    And yeah, just find 2 reasonable trees about 15" apart with at least kinda clear ground between them and you are good to go.
    ./~Hi ho, hi ho, it's up the trail I go ./~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by randall_mcduberson View Post
    For future reference, GSMNP has a ton of campsites without shelters that you can stay at and use hammocks. But if it has a shelter, you have to use it.
    Sure, but not on the AT which is where the OP is doing section hikes. There was a thread earlier about how one could utilize these campsites by hiking off the AT, but that seems to be beside the point of hiking the AT in sections. I haven't done a GSMNP section, but most of it south and a fair amount north in NC/TN. Planning to do it in cooler weather when I might mind a lot less being on the ground, or wooden platform rather.

There's another thread about doing the section in peak thru-hiker season because if shelters are full, one may setup their tent or hammock outside the shelter. I know of some folks who've sectioned this way without issue. But needs to be clear that you may have to spend a night in a shelter, perhaps all the nights, depending on numbers.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

GA is great for hammocking and you can find better views that might have uneven ground which wouldn’t be conducive in a tent.

++ New Posts ++