Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Those emergency blankets trap moisture. mylar of any color is not breathable... its a plastic sheet. Sure sit by a fire with this mylar thing?... hahahah thats not from experiance in freezing weather.

Winter camping is a bit more serious than most people think, thus so many SAR calls n fatalities as a result of being unprepared. skimping on equpment is not advisable for winter camping. Take enough clothes n equipmnet to spend a night in sub freezing weather. Those mylar blankets are fine after the marathon, but its not meant to be used for winter overnight camping. It may make a nice wind break but to sleep in it is nuts. Next time you go out... take your full winter kit n try the emergency blanket as an experiment first, but not as your primary sleeping gear expecting to cut down weight n save a few more ounces.

That reflective thing is a myth. There is absolutely no insulating factor in a 6mil plastic sheet... all your generated heat is lost as fast as you make it regardless of how much reflective heat it tosses back... warm moist air trapped inside will rob you of all your heat.

wrap yourself in tin foil shiny side in, lay in the fire, baste every half hour n turn for even browning.

happy trails.

Journal Entries

30 years ago I could make one last for a summer worth of weekend hiking, possibly about 5 to 6 weekends. They were ok during the summer in the Smokies but I'd bring my sleeping bag during the rest of the year. They’re ok for what they promise, but definitely not a non-summer item.

Journal Entries

if anone said this before i missed it

here is one that's more durable:
    https://www.rei.com/product/157767/s...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Its still plastic n mostly used as a ground cloths under the tent or on the floor of a lean-to.

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    if anone said this before i missed it

here is one that's more durable:
    https://www.rei.com/product/157767/s...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have the SOL Escape Bivy.Used it a time or two to supplement my 20 degree top quilt in the hammock.It is breathable and probably helped some but I can't quantify how much.It definitely would protect your quilt from
    blowing precip but I would never think about going out with it as a primary quilt or shelter;might work as emergency back up in a day pack though or in the event your down bag gets soaked.

I don't carry the Escape Bivvy or mylar blanket anymore but I do double bag my feathers as the extra bag is only 2 ounces.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by camper10469 View Post
    Its still plastic n mostly used as a ground cloths under the tent or on the floor of a lean-to.
    It can also be used as a makeshift shelter. I have a quilt for my hammock ind if it's chilly I put it over myself and get warmer instantly. It cuts wind which is a big plus.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++